Bullpen solution

frmrMiamiMarlins04

I was thinking since our bullpen hasn't really lived up to it's potential why dont we try and do what we did in the playoffs and use possibly willis or burnett in the bullpen.. It's just a thought that I am sure some have thought of, I know the cons of doing this but it's a cheap way of doing it instead of going to get bullpen help. I was thinking lets say AJ was pitching one night and willis had a start a couple days after why not bring him in for an inning and vise versa, sorry it's 12 am and I am just pissed about this bullpen even though they did well tonight ..so I am trying to just vent out possible solutions/ options and see what ya'll thought about it.

yea? and then what happens to your rotation?!

452023[/snapback]

Well see I was like saying let them start and come out of the bullpen.. mainly in close games and when they dont pitch the next night.. I know it's crazy to think of but I mean it could work I know you dont want to burn them out or hurt them but they are big guys I think they wouldn't mind pitching but hey what do I know..

I think it is an interesting idea - but I think the bullpen did fine today. The bullpen will get better when the starters get more consistent with their starts. The past couple have starts have been a good sign - going to at least the 6th again tonight with Penny.

But I think your point is an interesting one. You put, say Willis, in the bullpen as a setup/long reliever. That means you lose him in the rotation though - you need to find a starter to replace him. That is the problem - if had an arm that could replace him as starter, then you could do something like this or just put that new arm in the pen.

In order for this team to win, the starters have to go 7 more consistently and someone in the pen has to step up other than Benitez. Truthfully, I think our bullpen has plenty of talent to get us the bridge from starter to Benitez pretty consistently. When that happens, you see our offense scoring enough to win games like yesterday (bullpen just couldnt close the door, but a bad break didnt help either) and today.

Guest marlins02

i realize that they need to play with urgency but making a starter come out of the pen a few days after a start and then making him start a few days later and follow that routine from july to september and october if you can get in can create problems for those guys... especially AJ.

i realize that they need to play with urgency but making a starter come out of the pen a few days after a start and then making him start a few days later and follow that routine from july to september and october if you can get in can create problems for those guys... especially AJ.

452066[/snapback]

Why they get paid to play, I think personally they should be ready for anything?! I know there arms are all they got but still c'mon now.. That's my opinion take it or leave it

It could work because the starters already throw a few dozen (sometimes even up to 75) pitches on a day between starts.

But there are too many problems. Coaches work with Burnett during his throwing sessions. Penny and Willis struggle with their stamina already. Pavano does not want to risk his contract year. Beckett has injury problems.

Guest Jack1

How about Beckett out of the Bullpen until he builds up a new callous? I don't think it will happen but it could be a solution. Only let him pitch a couple of innings at a time until that finger is strong.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.