Willis versus Glavine

Hotcorner

Dontrelle draws Glavine

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com?

?

ARLINGTON -- One of the promising stars of today will face one of the most dominating pitchers of the past decade Monday night at Pro Player Stadium.

Marlins rookie Dontrelle Willis makes his eighth Major League start Monday. He will draw a tough assignment in Tom Glavine of the Mets.

Focused on the pending moment, the 21-year-old wasn't aware until Sunday afternoon that he was taking the mound against Glavine.

"The biggest thing about pitchers like Glavine, Greg Maddux and [John]Smoltz is they are very intelligent pitchers," said Willis, who has won four straight starts and is 5-1 with a 3.16 ERA.

"Obviously, they have physical talent. But they are very smart. I'm sure their scouting reports will read they go out and execute their pitches. They've done that well for years."

The Marlins begin a four-game series at home against the Mets with a 7:05 p.m. start Monday night.

A lifelong A's fan, Willis' idols are lefties Barry Zito and Mark Mulder. As a baseball fan, he watched Glavine through the years with the Braves. Now pitching for the Mets, Glavine is one of the top left-handed pitchers of his generation.

Willis has the makeup to be a standout left-hander for years to come.

"It's one thing to go out there and pitch well for a game, or a couple of games," Willis said.

"Those guys [like Glavine] have been doing it for years. That's why you have to respect them. It's going to be fun tomorrow."

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

This should be a terrific pitching matchup tonight, maybe the most anticipated of the year for me. Biggest test for the kid so far. Up to now he hasn't faced a really tough pitcher. I think if he can just stay calm & cool and let the defense make plays for him he'll be solid. The offense has been scoring runs lately. Monday crowds are notoriously small, but I'm hoping to see a good turnout tonight... Anyone going to the game?

Guest marlins02

if it wasnt for this damn paper thats due tommorow i would be going, ill prbably end up going to wednesday's game. writers block is a bi**h

Could be a tough series actually... Glavine's a great veteran, and Leiter-Pavano might be a tough matchup also. Penny should win his start, but then it's Phelps against Traschel.... Hopefully the offense will stay hot. Willis could give them a huge lift in the opener tonight.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.