Report: Ransom for Urbina's mom

AniR300

09/20/2004 4:40 PM ET

Report: Ransom for Urbina's mom

MLB.com

Kidnappers of Detroit Tigers pitcher Ugueth Urbina's mother are demanding a ransom of $15 million, according to a published report in Venezuela, where she was abducted earlier this month.

A demand of $15 million was made in a phone call to the family of Maura Villarreal, Urbina's mother, the report said.

The pitcher's mother was kidnapped on Sept. 1 days ago when men dressed as policemen entered Mrs. Villareal's small farm and spirited her away.

Urbina has been away from the Tigers and in Venezuela since his mother's kidnapping.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

I hope for the best, I just hope there are not any motives behind any of this.

566695[/snapback]

there is: money.

566894[/snapback]

Well I hope money in terms of giving it to the kidnappers, instead of Urbina calling for more money when he comes back to baseball next year to help fund for this.

But, I am sure I am reading into this too much...he is a good guy, but I have just always heard he wants more money and that is why he didn't come back to Flordia.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.