Kerry and guns

g8trz2003

I'll probably get called a stupid redneck or something for being a member of the NRA and caring about 2nd Ammendment rights, but oh well.

Anyway, I was just reading in the latest American Hunter magazine different things that Kerry is up to in the gun scene. As many of yall know, he has claimed to be "pro-guns" and poses with guns, and appears to be a hunter....but:

-This year, Kerry voted for Ted Kennedy's bill to ban all centerfire rifle hunting ammunition (Amendment 2619 to S.1805)

-In the 107th Congress, Kerry voted for the Schumer Amendment to use millions of taxpayer dollars to buy back legally owned firearms and destroy them.

-Kerry is currently a co-sponsor of S.1431, legislation to ban millions of semi-automatic shotguns and rifles. In fact, his own bill would ban the very Remington 11-87 shotgun he recently posed with for the cameras in West Virginia.

-This year, Kerry voted to ban gun shows.

-In 1985, Kerry was one of only a handful of Senators to oppose the landmark Firearm Owners Protection Act.

-Remember Rosie O'Donnell and the Million Mom March crowd that sought to ban firearms and register and license gun owners? John Kerry voted in the U.S. Senate to commend them!

-In 1999, Kerry supported a Lautenberg Amendment (S.254) to ban gun shows.

-In 1998, Kerry voted for the Durbin-Chafee Amendment to impose severe crminal penalties on a lawful citizen whose gun was stolen and used in a crime.

-In 1996, he voted to kill the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

-In 1994, Kerry voted to ban hunting in over a million acres of California desert (S.21).

-John Kerry has voted with Ted Kennedy on all but three anti-gun bills!

-He's sided with Charles Shumer on all but one anti-gun vote!

-John Kerry's record--Kerry's actual voting record--is more anti-gun than that of Al Gore!

That was from the magazine.

This isn't really meant to change people's votes, because I dont think a vote should be based on one issue, or even just a couple issues.

Really this is set to show to hunters and gun owners (which arent many on this board) that Kerry might try showing he's pro-guns when campaigning (i.e. showing footage of coming back from hunting geese, posing with guns, etc.), but his voting record proves otherwise.

I heard a few men the other day joking about his little clip of him coming back from "goose hunting". They claim he had someone else shoot the goose, and him bring it back. Now, that's just people saying crap, probably....but it's still funny.

I find it hilarious that he goes to West Virginia campaigning, and poses with a Remington 11-87....not realizing that he is CO-SPONSORING a bill to ban such guns.

We're in a war, a huge defecit, two supreme court judges looking to retire, and Social Security is running out.

Who cares about guns at this point? Let this be addressed when our nation is back to a state of calm when trivial issues like this could actually be discussed.

If any voter puts guns(either side) on the top of the issues he feels are important. I really question their sense of priority.

I think Kerry is enough of a gun person that he shouldnt be considered some uber liberal threat to gun ownership the way the NRA portrays everyone who doesnt share Heston's view. Is he a perfect NRA candidate? No. But does he really pose such a threat to the 2nd amendment as they see it? No. But all that is irrelevant. Screw the other issues..he questions assault rifles..he must go!

I heard a few men the other day joking about his little clip of him coming back from "goose hunting". They claim he had someone else shoot the goose, and him bring it back. Now, that's just people saying crap, probably....but it's still funny.

598713[/snapback]

I heard that he came back and someone was carrying the bird that he supposedly shot and some reporter yelled out "why aren't you carrying your own bird John?" and he said "because I'm lazy". Not sure if that's true its just what I heard.

I think Kerry is enough of a gun person that he shouldnt be considered some uber liberal threat to gun ownership the way the NRA portrays everyone who doesnt share Heston's view. Is he a perfect NRA candidate? No. But does he really pose such a threat to the 2nd amendment as they see it? No. But all that is irrelevant. Screw the other issues..he questions assault rifles..he must go!

Kerry's supported taking away hundreds of thousands of acres of hunting ground. He voted for Ted kennedy bill to outlaw ammunition used in deer hunting. He's also voted to tax just about all ammunition.

Sure it won't effect the votes, but the whole hunting episode was a stunt to get more support.

Kerry's supported taking away hundreds of thousands of acres of hunting ground. He voted for Ted kennedy bill to outlaw ammunition used in deer hunting. He's also voted to tax just about all ammunition.

Sure it won't effect the votes, but the whole hunting episode was a stunt to get more support.

598903[/snapback]

Get me evidence of those votes would you?

Plus Conan Obrien hit it on the head last night with his joke: "George Bush claimed that John Kerry only did the hunting this as a publicity stunt...Bush said this while wearing a jumpsuit and landing on an aircraft carrier." :lol

evidence? I'm gettin ready to go out, but I will look up links later proving that

1) In 1994, Kerry voted to ban hunting in over a million acres of California desert (s.21).

2) This year, Kerry voted for Ted Kennedy's bill to ban all centerfire rifle hunting ammunition (leaving just rimfire for rifles) (Amendment 2619 to S.1805).

evidence? I'm gettin ready to go out, but I will look up links later proving that

1) In 1994, Kerry voted to ban hunting in over a million acres of California desert (s.21).

2) This year, Kerry voted for Ted Kennedy's bill to ban all centerfire rifle hunting ammunition (leaving just rimfire for rifles) (Amendment 2619 to S.1805).

598917[/snapback]

Arent you just taking that as prima facie evidence? I mean maybe looking at the actual legislation would reveal a little bit more..like maybe conservatives supported the California desert ban for some conservationist reason? Or maybe there were legit reasons? Bush also got Ted Kennedy's support on No Child..does that mean its some left wing socialized school program?

like I said, I haven't had time to look up actual evidence from legislation....but I would assume that hunting is a conservationist move....

unless Kerry suddenly became a PRESERVATIONIST.

Hunters are conservationists. They want to protect the habitat for hunting reasons. Proof has shown that hunting has not hurt the environment (hunting with laws and regulations). The main destruction of habitat has been city growth and development.

Take a look at state and national parks. Central Floridians might have heard of Tosahatchee (in Christmas, FL) State Reserve. People are allowed to hunt waterfowl and I think hog too. Yet, the wildlife is in great shape. Why? Because there is still habitat. As long as there is habitat, and hunters generally follow laws and regulation (such as bag limit), there are no "conservationist" problems.

(btw, the punishment for breaking these laws....especially at state/national parks/reserves is so outrageous, you would have to be a complete fool to break these.....now breaking them on private property is a different story....but it's also private property, which is not what we are discussing).

At first glance, it looks like Kerry doesn't know sh** about hunting, conservation, etc. It looks like he fell into a liberal trap of thinking that hunting hurts the environment, and that California desert would be destroyed if hunters legally hunted there (I guess now, hunters have to do it ILLEGALLY).