Jeb Bush to lead the US delegation of tsunami...

Accord

I just heard on the news that Jeb Bush is going to lead the US delegation of tsunami relief and will be going over to south asia because of his experience in dealing with hurricanes.

645508[/snapback]

His experience??

How is he going to help Southeast Asia? By blowing hot air over the countryside?

Actually Colin Powell is leading the delegation.

Jeb Bush is going because of his experience handling disaster relief in Florida, and also to show the importance this issue has with the administration.

It also doesn't hurt Jeb's chances for a 2008 run for the Presidency either.

Actually Colin Powell is leading the delegation.

Jeb Bush is going because of his experience handling disaster relief in Florida, and also to show the importance this issue has with the administration.

It also doesn't hurt Jeb's chances for a 2008 run for the Presidency either.

645694[/snapback]

Exactly my point. Jeb is grandstanding. The real work in handling disaster relief was done by local officials long before Jebbie stepped into the picture. Most of the real leg work was done and put in place after Hurricane Andrew. To attribute the success of the relief efforts to Jeb would be a kin to attributing the internet to Al Gore.

The real work in handling disaster relief was done by local officials long before Jebbie stepped into the picture.

Disaster relief and damage assesment are rather different things don't you think?

According to CNN, Powell/Jeb are there for a damage assesment. If ones goal is simply to exploit a political attack opportunity, then the difference is of course irrelevant :plain

645849[/snapback]

True, the assessment must occur before effective relief can be administered.

Jeb has always impressed me as a very level headed politician. I'm sure he will do a good job.....and having the ear of the President will definitely help. However that being said, I'm sure there are dozens of people who could do an equally effective job, so clearly there are ulterior motives by sending Jeb.

Wouldn't the head of FEMA make a bit more sense? Or perhaps some Senators or Representatives from coastal regions usually effected by hurricanes? Who cares, I don't want to bash the GOP because I'm sure Tonyi will post a picture of my lord and savior John Kerry raping a Vietnamese baby or something.