Market Economics?

Shamrock

http://slate.msn.com/id/2078053/

I was actually browsing for stuff on Abe Maslow for some research I'm doing and came across this article on the economics of an online computer game called EVerquest. Wildy interesting stuff. Read it.

The most popular article in the leading economics Web archive doesn't concern tax policy, international trade, or the theory of the firm. It's about an online fantasy game.

During the past year, nearly 16,000 people have downloaded a 40-page economic analysis of EverQuest, Sony's popular online fantasy world of Norrath. "Virtual Worlds: A First-Hand Account of Market and Society on the Cyberian Frontier," by California State Fullerton economics professor Edward Castronova, is the No. 1 article in the history of the Economics Research Network, an Internet library of tens of thousands of professional journals and research papers in economics. The article, which you can download here, not only outpaces the online works of every Nobel laureate, it is also the fourth-most popular article on the entire Social Science Research Network, which contains more than 75,000 professional articles and abstracts in range of social sciences.

http://slate.msn.com/id/2078053/

I was actually browsing for stuff on Abe Maslow for some research I'm doing and came across this article on the economics of an online computer game called EVerquest. Wildy interesting stuff. Read it.

The most popular article in the leading economics Web archive doesn't concern tax policy, international trade, or the theory of the firm. It's about an online fantasy game.

During the past year, nearly 16,000 people have downloaded a 40-page economic analysis of EverQuest, Sony's popular online fantasy world of Norrath. "Virtual Worlds: A First-Hand Account of Market and Society on the Cyberian Frontier," by California State Fullerton economics professor Edward Castronova, is the No. 1 article in the history of the Economics Research Network, an Internet library of tens of thousands of professional journals and research papers in economics. The article, which you can download here, not only outpaces the online works of every Nobel laureate, it is also the fourth-most popular article on the entire Social Science Research Network, which contains more than 75,000 professional articles and abstracts in range of social sciences.

played it a while myself, 'til I realized I'd need to quit my job & get by on 3 hours of sleep per night.

Fun as hell, but man just so addicting & time consuming. You forget what the sun looks like.

The economics of the game were interesting though.... I'd like to read this report.

played it a while myself, 'til I realized I'd need to quit my job & get by on 3 hours of sleep per night.

Fun as hell, but man just so addicting & time consuming. You forget what the sun looks like.

The economics of the game were interesting though.... I'd like to read this report.

685899[/snapback]

did you make any money selling your characters/stuff on ebay?

apparently there are some t-money folks out there willing to drop top dollar for characters so they don't actually have to play the game.

685899[/snapback]

apparently there are some t-money folks out there willing to drop top dollar for characters so they don't actually have to play the game.

played it a while myself, 'til I realized I'd need to quit my job & get by on 3 hours of sleep per night.?

Fun as hell, but man just so addicting & time consuming.? You forget what the sun looks like.

The economics of the game were interesting though....? I'd like to read this report.

685899[/snapback]

685984[/snapback]

Ya--to impress the cyber chicks with their high levels and thuper inventory.

played it a while myself, 'til I realized I'd need to quit my job & get by on 3 hours of sleep per night.?

Fun as hell, but man just so addicting & time consuming.? You forget what the sun looks like.

The economics of the game were interesting though....? I'd like to read this report.

685899[/snapback]

685984[/snapback]

Ya--to impress the cyber chicks with their high levels and thuper inventory.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.