Trot Nixon criticizes A-Rod

Accord

FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Trot Nixon added fuel to the Red Sox-Yankees rivalry on Tuesday by criticizing Alex Rodriguez even before the first spring training workout for either team.

Boston's outfielder praised Rodriguez's playing ability but said New York's third baseman wasn't the "Yankee type."

"I don't look at him as that. He might be in a lot of people's eyes," Nixon said. "He's done some great things on the field. He's one of the best baseball players in the game and probably will be when it's all said and done.

"But when people ask me about the Yankees, I tell them about (Derek) Jeter and Bernie Williams and (Jorge) Posada. I don't tell them about Rodriguez. ... He can't stand up to Jeter in my book or Bernie Williams or Posada."

Rodriguez's spokesman, Steve Fortunato, said he could not reach A-Rod for comment.

Nixon also criticized Rodriguez for slapping the ball away from Red Sox pitcher Bronson Arroyo along the first-base line during Game 6 of the AL championship series and then complaining when he was called out.

"You're the one that swung the bat and hit that little nubber down there," he said of Rodriguez.

Boston became the first major league team to overcome a 3-0 postseason deficit and beat the Yankees for the AL pennant, then went on to sweep St. Louis for its first World Series title since 1918.

Yankees position players report Sunday and start workouts Feb. 22. Red Sox pitchers and catchers are due in camp by Thursday with the first full squad workout scheduled for Tuesday. Nixon has been in Fort Myers since last week.

He didn't say that A-Rod had criticized his workout regimen. But Nixon but did say that Rodriguez boasted about his own regimen.

"Like Rodriguez says," Nixon said, "his running stairs at 6 in the morning while I'm sleeping and taking my kids to school. I'm like, well I'm not a deadbeat dad, Alex."

On Nov. 18, Rodriguez's wife gave birth to a daughter.

"He's got a kid now, too, so I guess he'll have his limo driver take her to school," Nixon said.

Nixon also said he respected Yankees first baseman Jason Giambi, who is the focus of a controversy surrounding steroid use in baseball.

Without admitting that he used steroids, Giambi apologized last week to his teammates, fans and the media for distractions he caused.

"I don't feel sorry for Giambi but I do have a great amount of respect for him, for what he's done in this game, the kind of person he is," Nixon said. "He's a superstar and he doesn't act like it.

"A lot of people have lost respect for people like Giambi. I can't judge him for what he did," Nixon added. "I don't even know him that well but I enjoy talking to him over at first base. He's a very good ballplayer. He plays hard. He plays with passion and what's happened to him right now is (that) he seems to be the bullseye" for steroid critics.

Childish...

Yeah A-Rod will have his limo driver bring his girl to school...got to feel bad for blue-collar guys like Nixon, LOL...

Plus A-Rod's comments weren't targeted at him, his motivation for working out as intensely as he does is because he wants to be the best, the way to be the best is to prepare better than the rest. He isn't taking away from anyone else. Why would he? No one wants to be the best of the worst.

The whole A-Rod isn't a Yankee...what does that mean? If it means that he hasn't played on the Yanks his whole career like Jeter, Bernie and Posada...well yeah...thanks Captain Obvious so I guess Schilling isn't part of the Sox? Or is it just for people that contribute to the success of a team? Because he doesn't even have any right to talk then because he played in less than 50 games during the season...

But A-Rod can slam anyone he wants...and hes not an idiot...w/e...I love how the Marlin fans are at his nuts because he donated money to Miami...

687435[/snapback]

LOL...you couldn't be more wrong. Have you not seen all the Frontrunning Sox fan on this site? A-Rod was even booed during a Heat Game at home, you have NO IDEA what you are talking about.

It's just coming sense, Nixon just said some really stupid things.

Alot of players trash talk, Schilling, A-Rod but few have ever spouted so many stupid things in one interview regarding another player.

A-Rod says Schilling has a big mouth and should keep it close

Schilling said that knocking the ball out of Arroyo's hand was pathetic.

Nixon takes insult at the fact that A-Rod wants to prepare harder than anyone else in the league? That's a cop-out, pathetic really.

Oh and the whole 'limo-driving his girl to school'

Where does he get off saying that, his salary last year was 4.5 million for playing less than 50 games!

Schilling has an ego, A-Rod has an ego, Nixon is just stupid.

A-Rod doesnt prepare better than anyone...trust me...go to Houston for that guy

Frontrunning Red Sox fans on this site? That means alot...on a Marlin message board where the average age is 12.

Since when do players get salary after they play their season? That was a pointless comment.

Maybe Trot is sick of getting s*** on by the Yankees and their "we are the greatest attitude"...he had his teammates back, thats all...

And who knows the context of how he was interviewed, Im sure there was some major manipulation in gettting these answers out...

BTW, Id pay a guy 4.5 mil for 50 games than 25 mil for the 2nd coming of god and his .286 BA...what a joker...

Frontrunning Red Sox fans on this site? That means alot...on a Marlin message board where the average age is 12.

Since when do players get salary after they play their season? That was a pointless comment.

Maybe Trot is sick of getting s*** on by the Yankees and their "we are the greatest attitude"...he had his teammates back, thats all...

And who knows the context of how he was interviewed, Im sure there was some major manipulation in gettting these answers out...

BTW, Id pay a guy 4.5 mil for 50 games than 25 mil for the 2nd coming of god and his .286 BA...what a joker...

687448[/snapback]

I don't care if A-Rod does or doesn't want to prepare better than anyone. That's not the point, he said he is going out there at 6am because he wants to get a head start on the competition. Nixon took personal insult to that, why? That comment whether truthful or not wasn't directed at anyone.

As far as getting paid right after the season, don't try to pull a fast one. He's a baseball star with a large contract for him to try to single out A-Rod as this elitist is so insanely hypocritical it's stupid. If you don't see why the 'limo-driving' comment was stupid, there is nothing more to say. Nixon is such a blue-collared guy...

The whole not a Yankee thing? Where does he get his material from? Wasn't Schilling a new face to the Sox locker room? Shouldn't he realize A-Rod in his first season isn't going to be as much of a Yankee as people like Williams, Jeter and Posada who have been with the Yanks their entire careers...isn't this obvious to anyone that isn't stupid?

A-Rod is the second coming of God?

Oh yeah according to Sox fans when they THOUGHT he was going to be a member of the Sox...

But A-Rod can slam anyone he wants...and hes not an idiot...w/e...I love how the Marlin fans are at his nuts because he donated money to Miami...

687435[/snapback]

Find me the quotes from A-ROD saying things as stupid and childish as Trot.

Don't be a homer.

I can't gurantee you that 99% of the people down here don't care about AROD's money donation

687448[/snapback]

I don't care if A-Rod does or doesn't want to prepare better than anyone. That's not the point, he said he is going out there at 6am because he wants to get a head start on the competition. Nixon took personal insult to that, why? That comment whether truthful or not wasn't directed at anyone.

As far as getting paid right after the season, don't try to pull a fast one. He's a baseball star with a large contract for him to try to single out A-Rod as this elitist is so insanely hypocritical it's stupid. If you don't see why the 'limo-driving' comment was stupid, there is nothing more to say. Nixon is such a blue-collared guy...

The whole not a Yankee thing? Where does he get his material from? Wasn't Schilling a new face to the Sox locker room? Shouldn't he realize A-Rod in his first season isn't going to be as much of a Yankee as people like Williams, Jeter and Posada who have been with the Yanks their entire careers...isn't this obvious to anyone that isn't stupid?

A-Rod is the second coming of God?

Oh yeah according to Sox fans when they THOUGHT he was going to be a member of the Sox...

687474[/snapback]

The majority of Sox fans didnt want that trade...myself included...and hes saying the way he acts doesnt make him a Yankee...anyone can read the context of that...he isnt saying that because of his short term...

687435[/snapback]

Find me the quotes from A-ROD saying things as stupid and childish as Trot.

Don't be a homer.

I can't gurantee you that 99% of the people down here don't care about AROD's money donation

687475[/snapback]

You can seriously go to hell....you really have no need to post if you simply pull out the "homer" card...

that is old, and really played out...after every single post in the Marlins forum on this site...I could post homer....but that would be pointless and useless, and it wouldnt make alot of sense...just like you saying that everytime I back up or defend someone on the Red Sox...

And there have been PLENTY of times Ive disagreed with the Sox, the players, and my views of the team have been un pro-sox.

If someone trashed Delgado...would you defend him if you disagreed with what the person said? You sure as hell would...so dont blast me for doing something you would do in a second...

Plus check what you wrote...