Marlins inspect the Grasshoppers' new stadium

Accord

Our A ball affiliate has a better clubhouse than the Cubs and Red Sox :thumbup .

GREENSBORO -- The game is on.

Two members of the Florida Marlins staff inspected the playing surface at First Horizon Park on Tuesday and pronounced themselves satisfied.

That means the Marlins will come to Greensboro as scheduled April 3 for an exhibition with the Greensboro Grasshoppers, the first game in the new stadium. The game always has been contingent on the Marlins' approval of the field.

Not that there weren't a few anxious moments for Hoppers president Donald Moore as Marlins assistant general manager Jim Fleming and director of player development Mark Chattin checked out the dirt, grass and warning track.

"They must have walked every square inch of the field," Moore said.

But that's someone protecting a $60 million investment, the amount of money the Marlins have tied up in their major-league players who will play here in April.

Fleming and Chattin carefully checked the seams where rolls of sod were laid in September. Low or soft seams could potentially cause a player to roll an ankle.

"You're looking for anything you think could be dangerous, like sprinkler heads and how they're grounded," Fleming said. "Brian immediately saw a railing that needed to be padded.

"You're looking out for the safety of the players. You don't want anyone to get hurt because the surface isn't ready to play."

In the end, everything was fine. It didn't have to be perfect because the game is still six-and-a-half weeks away and the field will be well-cared for in the meantime.

Fleming's first look at the park was in August, when most of the concrete was poured and some steel was up, but the playing field was all dirt.

"You could visualize everything that they talked about," Fleming said. "Now it's all in and you see everything come to fruition.

"This is very well designed. It's as good a (Class) A ball facility as I've ever seen. The locker rooms are better than Wrigley Field or Fenway Park ever were."

http://www.news-record.com/sports/bats/hoppers_021605.htm

They should have remained the Bats.

687350[/snapback]

I like the Grasshoppers is a lot better. I mean Greensboro Bats? That name is just meh.

I had been meaning to post this but tickets for the April 3 game will go on sale Saturday at the stadium box office at 10 AM for those of us in the area that might want to go. I doubt they will be very expensive and it will be the opener for the stadium w hich will be cool

687350[/snapback]

I like the Grasshoppers is a lot better. I mean Greensboro Bats? That name is just meh.

I had been meaning to post this but tickets for the April 3 game will go on sale Saturday at the stadium box office at 10 AM for those of us in the area that might want to go. I doubt they will be very expensive and it will be the opener for the stadium w hich will be cool

687401[/snapback]

yeah i'm cool with grasshoppers. before they were the bats they were the Hornets which was kinda cool.

i'm still not sure if i'm gonna go.

i'd like to but it might not work out b/c of a bunch of other stuff goin on right now for me.

687350[/snapback]

687401[/snapback]

yeah i'm cool with grasshoppers. before they were the bats they were the Hornets which was kinda cool.

i'm still not sure if i'm gonna go.

i'd like to but it might not work out b/c of a bunch of other stuff goin on right now for me.

687504[/snapback]

Man I dunno if you went or not but it was ridiculous there today...I got there about an hour early only to be like 1,000th person in line....barely got tickets to Marlins game but it took 5 hours of standing in line to get em. But I did get some awesome seats for the 'official' home opener this year.

Stadium looks pretty awesome