WTF is wrong with this picture?

Hojo

I'm definitely not trying to make this into a Marlins/Mets thing, but take a look at this:

http://newyork.mets.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/nym...5news&fext=.jsp

Isn't it ironic: Martinez and Carlos Beltran spent several hours late in the afternoon filming a public service announcement for the Boys and Girls Club of America on the main field of the complex. Joining him were Dodgers hurler Derek Lowe and Marlins first baseman Carlos Delgado, who came very close to signing with New York last month.

Delgado saw some irony that he was now standing on the field with two would-be teammates had he signed with the Mets, but isn't regretting his decision.

"It's funny," he said. "It's the baseball world. It's a small world. Me and Carlos, we're both from Puerto Rico. We get along great. Good people. Pedro I've been facing for the longest time since he was with Montreal and me being in the American League East we played them. We know each other. What's done is done. No sense crying over spilled milk. I made my decision, what was best for me at the time. "

I'm not trying to get into a MArlins - Mets argument, so I'm not going to say that Delgado wanted the Mets all along, but that seems like a very odd quote.

So is there something going on in Fish ST, that's making him not enjoy it as much?

Or is it perhaps the good vibe coming from Met camp is that noticeable to other players? (This is the most positive any Met ST has been since 1999.)

Just wondering what is going on, since I havent really been following fish baseball lately

:lol :lol :lol

wow, i'm surprised anyone would have that much difficulty figuring out what he was trying to say.

you have to be the only person on the planet to read that and assume he was suggesting that he wasn't happy with the marlins and that he'd rather be a met.

wow, i literally laughed out loud when i read this thread.

bravo. :notworthy

It's not an odd quote at all. He's not talking about crying over spilled milk, he's talking about OTHER people crying over spilled milk. He's stated over and over that the whole New York situation was over-stated by the media and hyped up in New York - he was never really close to signing with the Mets.

Get over it.

:lol :lol :lol

wow, i'm surprised anyone would have that much difficulty figuring out what he was trying to say.

you have to be the only person on the planet to read that and assume he was suggesting that he wasn't happy with the marlins and that he'd rather be a met.

wow, i literally laughed out loud when i read this thread.

bravo. :notworthy

694856[/snapback]

took the words right out of my mouth.

so :notworthy on two levels

The thing is nobody is crying over spilt milk. It's odd because he's really just an after thought in NY now, we're more worried about the players we do have, not the players we don't. It pretty much came out of nowhere, that's why it's odd.

695148[/snapback]

I think its more of a media thing than anybody on the team or the fans.

The media keeps asking him questions about how close he was to signing with the Mets and what it would be like to play with Pedro and Beltran. He's been saying recenly that the New York media hyped the whole thing up, but that he was never really close to signing with the Mets.

He's been in spring training for three days, do you really think he would already change his mind about being happy with the Marlins? He's been quoted over and over again about how excited he is about this coming season and to get a chance to make the playoffs. He's happy being a Marlin. Let it go.

I'm not saying he's questioning his motives or that he's unhappy about signing with the Marlins. The Forida Media can ask him all they want about how close he was to signing with the Mets, but why is he saying we need to get over it when there's been no mention of him in the news here for a month or so is what gets me.

He gets asked by the New York media, not the Florida media. It's been in a few of the newspapers here in New York (I live here and I read the papers), though not quite that often.

This is a retarded thread. He's a Marlin, and that's that. You can interpret any statement any way you want... it might have been taken out of context, etc. Just get over it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.