Nationals' opening day ceremonies

rferry

The pitcher who was on the mound on the last Senators game before the final out could be recorded will deliver the ball to President Bush.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2005Apr12.html

Most times, Brian Schneider doesn't have to think about it. He'll crouch down, thump his right hand into the soft leather of the catcher's mitt that sits on his left, and have someone hurl a baseball at him, upwards of 90 mph.

The ball that comes toward him tomorrow night, though, won't travel half that speed, yet Schneider's knees just might be knocking, the plastic of his shin guards clicking together a bit. Schneider, the Washington Nationals catcher, boasts a collection of more than 200 baseballs, autographed by men he has met and those he hasn't, by his heroes, Ernie Banks and Ted Williams and Mickey Mantle. The one he catches tomorrow night will be different.

"I mean, it's the president," Schneider said. "Who wouldn't be honored to catch that pitch?"

The first official pitch for the Nationals in their new home ballpark, RFK Stadium, will be thrown by right-hander Livan Hernandez. But before the game, the ceremonial first pitch will come from President Bush. Schneider intends to be there to catch it and, eventually, have it signed so he can add it to his collection -- a ball that instantly overtakes all the others.

The proceedings tomorrow night continue a long tradition of presidents throwing out first pitches that began 95 years ago to the day, when William Howard Taft tossed a ball to Washington Senators great Walter Johnson, who then went out and threw a one-hitter to beat the Philadelphia Athletics, 3-0. Since that day, nearly every president has continued the tradition. The walls of a conference room at Major League Baseball's headquarters in New York are lined with the photos of such occasions. President Bush threw an Opening Day first pitch in St. Louis last year. President Clinton did it at Camden Yards in Baltimore in 1996. But when Washington had a team, the president used Washington's ballpark, and ballclub, as his platform for such occasions.

"I remember most of them," said former Senator Mickey Vernon, 86, who is scheduled to be at the opener. "It was an honor, really, to have them there."

Several presidents have held special affection for baseball. Thus, baseball men frequently have in-roads to presidents that others don't. Nationals General Manager Jim Bowden once sat with George H.W. Bush in a luxury box during a minor league game in Chattanooga. Assistant general manager Tony Siegle chatted extensively with Richard Nixon during a game in Philadelphia in the early 1970s. Team president Tony Tavares has already been to the White House for dinner with the current president Bush, part of a "baseball bunch" setting in which the men who lead and play the game talk baseball with the man who leads the nation.

Nationals Manager Frank Robinson, a Hall of Fame player, attended one such dinner at the Bush White House. "It was outstanding," Robinson said, "once you get over the intimidation factor type of thing."

But if there is one club in baseball that is likely to have less of an intimidation factor with the president, it is the one that resides in the nation's capital.

"I think the relationship a Washington team has with a president is different than any other," said former Senators pitcher Jim Hannan. "We had presidents at the park many, many times."

The ceremonial first pitch, though, used to be much different. And were it to be carried out as it used to be, Schneider's chances of catching it would be reduced to 1 in 50. The president used to throw the ball from the stands. Most of the photos, in fact, show the president from straight on or a slight angle, hurling the ball onto the field.

What the photos don't reveal is that the president had to toss the ball over a line of photographers, all angling for the best shot. Behind the photographers, players from both teams jockeyed for position. "It was somewhat of a rugby match," Hannan said.

"That scramble was something," Vernon said. "Somebody might get spiked, which a few guys did over the years."

Veteran Senators learned how to best jockey for position. One year, a catcher named Ken Retzer out-thought everyone else, and ended up with the ball. The next season, he passed on his wisdom to Hannan, who was just a rookie.

What you do," Hannan recalled Retzer saying, "is get in the back, and let them all jump for it. Usually, they miss it, and it falls to the ground. Then, you got to be quick."

So Hannan followed the advice -- and got the ball, tossed by President Kennedy.

Of course, things happened in those days that simply wouldn't happen now. One year, probably 1963, the team stayed at the old Windsor Park Hotel on Connecticut Avenue for the first few days after arriving in town, before they could find apartments or houses. Outfielder Jimmy Piersall got a car dealer buddy to lend him an old jalopy to get around town the first few days. Early in the season, Piersall asked Hannan to hop in the car with him and drive over to the ballpark, then known as D.C. Stadium.

"Lo and behold," Hannan said, "that car broke down right in front of the White House. Right in the dead-center in front of it, on Pennsylvania Avenue. Imagine that."

Hannan and Piersall hopped out, hailed a cab and made it to the game. But later that night, the clubhouse phone rang. It was for Piersall, who picked it up, and heard something along the lines of, "What are you doing leaving these junk heaps in front of my house in Washington? I'm a respectable man."

It was, of course, President Kennedy.

Security, even in those days, was tight. One night in 1971, President Nixon was at the park. Tom McCraw, a Senators outfielder back then who is now the Nationals' hitting coach, left the dugout in the middle of the game to head back to the clubhouse to grab something.

"I walked by the manager's office, and there was this absolutely huge Secret Service guy there," McCraw said. "I didn't know what to do, so I just said, 'Hello, sir. How are you?' And he didn't flinch. Stood there like a stone wall."

Almost all of the old Senators have a link to presidents past. And in part because of that, they will have a hand in returning baseball to the nation's capital. Hannan said former Senators are scheduled to take the field tomorrow night, one at each position. They will carry the gloves of the current players out with them, and when Washington's new Nationals are introduced, they will receive their gloves from the heroes of the past.

And for the first pitch, Joe Grzenda, the 67-year-old Pennsylvanian who threw the last pitch in Senators history, will walk to the mound, carrying that very same ball. He will hand it to President Bush, who will toss it toward home, presumably to Schneider.

"I've been thinking about it for a long time," Schneider said. "People would have to fight me for it. It's part of history."

Guest Moneyball

Will this game be nationally televised?

740691[/snapback]

It was supposed to be televised, Boog was gonna be the PBP guy in fact. But it wasn't until 2 weeks ago that someone figured out that they didn't have enough broadcast booths. Boog talked about it last week.

Will this game be nationally televised?

740691[/snapback]

It was supposed to be televised, Boog was gonna be the PBP guy in fact. But it wasn't until 2 weeks ago that someone figured out that they didn't have enough broadcast booths. Boog talked about it last week.

741473[/snapback]

Bah, I wish MLB.TV would broadcast this for free or something