Watching Josh tonight...

He was obviously using that 2-seamer more than he has all season, and with good reason. The lefties were really giving it some odd looks when it tailed back in... got Miles real good a few times. I'm guessing he was just experimenting with it, using it oten to see if he could consistently get batters out, and he did that.

I noticed that too, it's kind of funny that after seeing Hudson use the two seamer to such success in Atlanta on Wednesday, Josh experimented with it the next time out. I'm not saying that they're related, but it seems as if Josh is really evolving as a "pitcher" from start to start.

And it's nice to see him pitch well after struggling with his curve in the first two innings (he got it back though). The old Josh would have just grooved 98 MPH fastballs down the pipe...

Guest Moneyball

At first I was saying "uh oh his velocity is still down". But as the night progressed and they began to have more and more movement I came to the conclusion that he was throwing the 2-seamer.

At first I was saying "uh oh his velocity is still down". But as the night progressed and they began to have more and more movement I came to the conclusion that he was throwing the 2-seamer.

766393[/snapback]

Yeah, he could still fire it in at 96 at will, but I think it was a combo of taking something off to hit his spots/throwing the two-seamer and that splitter/sinker he tries to work in when he's up 0-2 with no one on...