No more "Florida" unis...EVER

Guest Moneyball

Guest Moneyball

Since we have been screwed by the state on our road jersey, I call for the Marlins NEVER to wear the "Florida" uni ever. I say we abandon the Florida name next year, assuming the deal is done and go to Miami 2 years earlier. In a form of protest. If we do get to the playoffs this year, I suggest not once to we wear the gray uni and stick to the black alternate on the road. The rest of the state of Florida should never get the joy of seeing the name "Florida" on a championship caliber team.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v226/marlinfan/mia4.bmp

Hey, my county has been very supportive of the Marlins Stadium. We are the only county that can actually show the benefits of having baseball facilities built and owned by the county.

Plus the consensus in Lee County is that Dade County should ahve the stadium. I don't know about Broward and Palm Beach's whining, but this is one county in support.

Guest Moneyball

Hey, my county has been very supportive of the Marlins Stadium. We are the only county that can actually show the benefits of having baseball facilities built and owned by the county.

Plus the consensus in Lee County is that Dade County should ahve the stadium. I don't know about Broward and Palm Beach's whining, but this is one county in support.

766553[/snapback]

The Miami Marlins of Lee County. :mischief

There has been recent talk of changing it from Lee County to possibly King County....with Lee being the shameful Senate President he is that may be pushed further. (BTW it is named after Robert E. Lee, no Tom Lee)

However, on a serious note this county is in supporrt as our elected representatives have voted. Collier is also in support as they have shown. We believe the Miami name change is appropriate since the County will pay so much. However, Miamians should never forget the fans outside their county who love the team as much as they do.

We cheer for the same Heat, Panthers and Dolphins along with our beloved Marlins. (Although some here prefer the Bucs for several reasons over the Dolphins.)

2 County Ballpark Success Stories

City of Palms Park - Fort Myers, Florida

Lee County-owned Spring Home of the Boston Red Sox

William Hammond Stadium - Fort Myers, Florida

Lee County-owned Spring Home of the Minnesota Twins and Summer Home of the Fort Myers Miracle (formerly the Miami Marlins)

Both of these facilities have been mathematically shown to bring almost 50% more tax revenue to Lee County than had they not been built!

Yeah, it's not like Palm Beach and Broward county account for a huge percentage of season ticket sales or anything like that. :plain

766564[/snapback]

Well the stadium is as close to Broward fans as it is to Dade's and

1) those counties didn't make any serious effort to build us a home

2) fans from those counties are nice but we're still averaging like the worst crowds out of any good team in baseball; the fans in Broward and PBC aren't that great.

I have to agree with sentiment espoused by the author of this thread.

So much for "regionalism" or seeking support from anywhere other than Miami-Dade. The west coast of Florida is an irrelveancy as far the as Marlins are concerned. Palm Beach and Broward counties, all for tri-county collectivism when comes to enhancing their economic well-being turned their back on Miami-Dade and the Marlins so if we have to go it alone, so be it.

If the Marlins are successful in building a stadium in Miami-Dade they won't need a single season ticketholder from either of those two northern counties to fill he place. With corporate tickets sales finally available the biggest problem Miami-Dade residents will have is getting decent seats. Replacing carping Palm Beach and Broward fans will be a piece of cake.

Go Miami Marlins !!

Yeah, it's not like Palm Beach and Broward county account for a huge percentage of season ticket sales or anything like that.? :plain

766564[/snapback]

Well the stadium is right there and

2) fans from those counties are nice but we're still averaging like the worst crowds out of any good team in baseball; the fans in Broward and PBC aren't that great.

766565[/snapback]

Why should Palm Beach and Broward counties contribute money to a stadium that's in Dade county? Love thy neighbor, but don't give it a handout.

And yeah, the fans are that great. We support the Marlins, and we drive up to an hour and sometimes an hour and a half to watch games, Miami fans can't support a team that's in their own back yard.

If the Miami market were so great, the team wouldn't be looking to move from there.

Yeah, it's not like Palm Beach and Broward county account for a huge percentage of season ticket sales or anything like that. :plain

766564[/snapback]

766565[/snapback]

Why should Palm Beach and Broward counties contribute money to a stadium that's in Dade county? Love thy neighbor, but don't give it a handout.

And yeah, the fans are that great. We support the Marlins, and we drive up to an hour and sometimes an hour and a half to watch games, Miami fans can't support a team that's in their own back yard.

If the Miami market were so great, the team wouldn't be looking to move from there.

766569[/snapback]

Swifty I agree that Palm beach and Broward counties should not be asked to contribute one penny towards a new stadium BUT at the same time they shouldn't expect the franchise to spend one second considering their requests for a more centrally located stadium either.

Yeah, it's not like Palm Beach and Broward county account for a huge percentage of season ticket sales or anything like that.? :plain

766564[/snapback]

766565[/snapback]

766569[/snapback]

Not talking abour money here, but the Senators of Palm Beach and Broward should had been more vocal about it and united with the Miami delegation and actualy do something about it.

Also, for the most part the people of Broward and PBC stayed silent on the issue. This is Miami's team.

Obviously, not talking about you and me in my statement above (or anyone in this board). (you living in PBC, and I living in Broward)

766564[/snapback]

766565[/snapback]

766569[/snapback]

Not talking abour money here, but the Senators of Palm Beach and Broward should had been more vocal about it and united with the Miami delegation and actualy do something about it.

Also, for the most part the people of Broward and PBC stayed silent for the most part. This is Miami's team.

Obviously, not talking about you and me in my statement above (or anyone in this board). (you living in PBC, and I living in Broward)

766574[/snapback]

Miami itself wasn't 100% behind it, Portilla killed it by being indifferent more than any PB and Broward Senators killed it by being conflictedly in favor of it.

Swifty I agree that Palm beach and Broward counties should not be asked to contribute one penny towards a new stadium

766571[/snapback]

So then no one in the state of Florida not living in Miami should vote to fund the stadium?

766576[/snapback]

We're talking about counties here, not state reps/senators from those counties...

766564[/snapback]

766565[/snapback]

766569[/snapback]

Also, for the most part the people of Broward and PBC stayed silent for the most part. This is Miami's team.

766574[/snapback]

Miami itself wasn't 100% behind it, Portilla killed it by being indifferent more than any PB and Broward Senators killed it by being conflictedly in favor of it.

766578[/snapback]

But he came around at the end. Why? Because the people in Miami were pissed about and actually did something and called, e-mailed, went to his local office in person, etc.

766564[/snapback]

766565[/snapback]

766569[/snapback]

766574[/snapback]

766578[/snapback]

But he came around at the end. Why? Because the people in Miami were pissed about and actually did something and called, e-mailed, went to his local office in person, etc.

766580[/snapback]

But by that time the damage was done. If a guy who is directly affected by the presence of the stadium is opposed at the critical developmental stage, no flip flopping can save it.

Try telling a girl she's ugly, then change your stance...see how far it gets you.

Swifty I agree that Palm beach and Broward counties should not be asked to contribute one penny towards a new stadium

766571[/snapback]

So then no one in the state of Florida not living in Miami should vote to fund the stadium?

766576[/snapback]

If you have to take my comment out of context to make your point then your point must be a pretty weak one in the first place.

No one in the state of Florida WAS being asked to fund a new stadium. Not in Oscala or Broward or Lee county. What was being asked for was a rebate on a sales tax that would have generated $3 to the state for every dollar used to help finance the stadium. And if the franchise were to move out of Florida the net effect would have been a loss to the state of $180 million over 30 years.

766564[/snapback]

766565[/snapback]

766569[/snapback]

766574[/snapback]

766578[/snapback]

766580[/snapback]

But by that time the damage was done. If a guy who is directly affected by the presence of the stadium is opposed at the critical developmental stage, no flip flopping can save it.

Try telling a girl she's ugly, then change your stance...see how far it gets you.

766583[/snapback]

I just find very disheartening that I never saw a meaningful statement by any of the Broward and PBC polititians, the media didn't cover it, etc.

People in Broward and PBC don't care about the Marlins for the most part.

766564[/snapback]

766565[/snapback]

766569[/snapback]

766574[/snapback]

766578[/snapback]

766580[/snapback]

766583[/snapback]

I just find very disheartening that I never saw a meaningful statement by any of the Broward and PBC polititians, the media didn't cover it, etc.

People in Broward and PBC don't care about the Marlins for the most part.

766585[/snapback]

All that mattered to people in Broward and Palm Beach county was how far they might have to drive and the further away they were the less inclined they were to support the plan.

So as far as I'm concerned, turnabout is fair play.