Jason Michaels Arrested

Cube

Phillies outfielder, Tampa native charged with assaulting police

By Dan Gelston

AP Sports Writer

Posted July 3 2005, 6:11 PM EDT

PHILADELPHIA -- Philadelphia outfielder Jason Michaels was arrested early Sunday after allegedly punching a police officer outside a city nightclub, authorities said.

Michaels, 29-year-old a native of Tampa, Fla., spent nine hours in custody before he was released on his own recognizance at about noon, said Philadelphia police Cpl. Jim Pauley.

``I really would love to talk to you guys about this, but I've been advised by my attorney not to say anything,'' Michaels said in the locker room of Citizens Bank Park, where Philadelphia was to play host to Atlanta on Sunday night. The team did not immediately say whether he would play.

Michaels was charged with aggravated assault on a police officer, simple assault and reckless endangerment. Officer Timothy Taylor sustained minor injuries in the incident, Pauley said.

``He punched a Philadelphia police officer and wrestled him to the ground, in the process ripping the police officer's shirt,'' Pauley said. ``It took four officers to control him.''

Police were dispersing a crowd in the Old City entertainment district just before 3 a.m., the spokesman said. Everyone moved on willingly except Michaels, he said.

Michaels is listed at 6 feet and 205 pounds. He has a .297 average with three home runs and 18 RBIs in 158 at bats this season.

Michaels' attorney, Theodore Simon of Philadelphia, did not immediately return a message left Sunday at his office. Michaels is due to appear in court on Thursday.