Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Loria: South Fla. can hit big time

Featured Replies

Loria: South Fla. can hit big time

Team owner: `I love this market'

BY MIKE PHILLIPS

mphillips@herald.com

 

Can big-league baseball make it in South Florida?

 

Marlins owner Jeffrey Loria has seen enough lately to convince him that it not only can make it, but make it big.

 

''Without a doubt, I think this could potentially be one of the top-five or 10 markets in the country,'' said Loria as he sat in the dugout before Saturday's 5-2 victory against the Astros. ``It will take time and a lot of work, but we have the people who can do it.

 

''I love this market. It's unique. I'm from New York and we have a mix there, and you have a mix here,'' he said. ``I like the whole mix. I like the flavor of South Florida.''

 

The Marlins' surge in the standings hasn't gone unnoticed. Attendance is starting to increase and is up more than 45 percent over last year.

 

The Marlins drew a crowd of 37,735 Wednesday when Dontrelle Willis faced Arizona's Randy Johnson, and the Marlins drew more than 80,000 for a three-game series against the Cubs last month.

 

Loria said if the Marlins are still in the playoff race in September, he will not be surprised to see crowds of 20,000 a night.

 

''I would expect 20,000,'' he said. ``It's a heck of a product -- finally. The fans have been waiting for something like this.''

 

Local newspapers aren't running the Marlins' game stories far back in the sports sections, and local sports radio shows are talking about the Marlins.

 

Loria said he has seen the difference winning can make and has heard the buzz surrounding his team.

 

''The buzz is getting to be a loud noise,'' Loria said. ``I'm seeing it everywhere. When I'm downtown, I see Marlins shirts and hats. People approach me all the time about the team, and everything is completely upbeat.''

 

BURNETT UPDATE

 

The Marlins have been winning without A.J. Burnett, who would have been the opening-day starter. Burnett, who had Tommy John Surgery in April, is eager to throw a baseball again, especially because he knows he is less than a month away.

 

Burnett is scheduled to see Dr. James Andrews on Sept. 1 and expects to start throwing after that visit. He won't pitch this season but will start a slow program back next month.

 

''It's fun to see this team do what it's doing,'' said Burnett. ``These are my friends. It's fun to root for them.''

 

Burnett is the one who gave Willis his nickname, ``D-Train.''

 

''I came up with it after he got a win one day,'' Burnett said. 'I just said, `The D-Train just keeps going.' And that got to be his name. You think I would get something for that. I should have the patent on it.''

 

FOR THE RECORD

 

The Marlins improved to 44-28 under manager Jack McKeon, who took over in May.

 

The 1997 Marlins, who won the World Series, went 43-29 in their first 72 games under Jim Leyland.

lol. AJ came up with D-train. cool.

Thats the third different origin I hear for the D-Train nickname.

  • Author

Thats the third different origin I hear for the D-Train nickname.

I originally heard his grand-ma gave him the name when he was a kid...

I originally heard his grand-ma gave him the name when he was a kid...

I read that too, I think in the Mag not sure.

Thats the third different origin I hear for the D-Train nickname.

I think it was AJ who came up with it.

I originally heard his grand-ma gave him the name when he was a kid...

Yeah, that's what I heard, too.

  • Author

I read that too, I think in the Mag not sure.

I know I read it in an article, just do know for what paper. But it was a WHILE ago...

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.