The Tide is Turning

musk

The tide is turning on this forum. The "yes we can do it this season" are turning into "maybe we should start looking towards next season". Yes, I know that there is still a lot of baseball left to be played. This fact alone is what drives the blind optomism in this forum. But I can see the degredation of a positive 2005 outlook for this team in many posts around this forum. And thats OK.

Now I've been burned at the stake many times for posting negative thoughts. And before you start saying "You only post negative things after loses" go search up my posts and see when I've made my posts.

I never used to be such a pesamist. Before the Atlanta homestand I was starting to lose faith. Especially since we were humiliated the first two games of that series. Then we won the 3rd game in extras and I really thought that would turn the team around. Boy was I wrong. After the Mets series is when things started going downhill and that was when my faith had been totally vanquished by the Marlins.

I still watch the games and I still go to the games (before anyone uses that famous "bandwaggon" or "fairweather" fan) but there just is no more excietment. The games mean little to me because I know that even though the NL East owns the top WC spots that the NL central has teams that are begining to bust out. I know that when Atlanta gets fuly healthy they will win the division leaving the Nationals pretty strong in the WC standings. And even if they don't win the WC you have to look at the Astros and the Cubs.

Trade Burnett? Yes, for young cheap talent that we can resign for a multi-year deal. Trade Lowell? As MUCH as it kills me, yes if we can somehow use that salary towards a stadium or some more consistent talent that can produce in both halves of the season. Trade Beckett? Yes. He is possibly the most inconsistent pitcher on the staff but we still have him for 2 more years so lets see. This team is done in '05 but still have a good nucleus to turn it around in '06.

There is no shame in putting a fork in this season. It doesn't make you less of a fan. If someone called me a "fairweather" fan after i proclaimed the Dolphins season over after losing 5 straight I would have punched them in the face. Just because you are a realist doesn't mean you're any less of a fan. Sometimes realism is more important than blind faith.

Agreements and death threats welcome.

The tide is turning on this forum. The "yes we can do it this season" are turning into "maybe we should start looking towards next season". Yes, I know that there is still a lot of baseball left to be played. This fact alone is what drives the blind optomism in this forum. But I can see the degredation of a positive 2005 outlook for this team in many posts around this forum. And thats OK.

Now I've been burned at the stake many times for posting negative thoughts. And before you start saying "You only post negative things after loses" go search up my posts and see when I've made my posts.

I never used to be such a pesamist. Before the Atlanta homestand I was starting to lose faith. Especially since we were humiliated the first two games of that series. Then we won the 3rd game in extras and I really thought that would turn the team around. Boy was I wrong. After the Mets series is when things started going downhill and that was when my faith had been totally vanquished by the Marlins.

I still watch the games and I still go to the games (before anyone uses that famous "bandwaggon" or "fairweather" fan) but there just is no more excietment. The games mean little to me because I know that even though the NL East owns the top WC spots that the NL central has teams that are begining to bust out. I know that when Atlanta gets fuly healthy they will win the division leaving the Nationals pretty strong in the WC standings. And even if they don't win the WC you have to look at the Astros and the Cubs.

Trade Burnett? Yes, for young cheap talent that we can resign for a multi-year deal. Trade Lowell? As MUCH as it kills me, yes if we can somehow use that salary towards a stadium or some more consistent talent that can produce in both halves of the season. Trade Beckett? Yes. He is possibly the most inconsistent pitcher on the staff but we still have him for 2 more years so lets see. This team is done in '05 but still have a good nucleus to turn it around in '06.

There is no shame in putting a fork in this season. It doesn't make you less of a fan. If someone called me a "fairweather" fan after i proclaimed the Dolphins season over after losing 5 straight I would have punched them in the face. Just because you are a realist doesn't mean you're any less of a fan. Sometimes realism is more important than blind faith.

Agreements and death threats welcome.

864547[/snapback]

Yes I agree with you that the tide is turning on this forum with each passing night. But I know there are still many who believe this team can get it done. I order to do that there has to be a huge shake-up and it starts and ends with Jacks head. Now I love the guy and will never forget what he did in 03, but he has lost this team and if we continue to let him manage we will lose our season. If something isn't done in the next 72hours I may then join the many on this forum who feel the tide is turning.

i wont be satisfied to throw in the towel until we complete the trades we are going to make and let things fall into place. im looking at the next nats home series against the marlins as a deciding point for me. i really think they can kick it into gear by then.

864549[/snapback]

that type of optimism is warrented (the type that waits to see where we stand after trades). I have thought about waiting until the trades are done and see what we get out of it. And I KNOW we have one of the smartest GM's in all of baseball (Peter Gammons loves him). But I think the trades will focus more on future baseball rather than right now (see: trading an arm this year compared to when we wouldnt trade pavano last year). And thats why I can't rest my optimism on the trade deadline. But that's just me.

My faith is lost but if we do make something out of this season I will be THE FIRST to admit that I was wrong to lose faith. I garuntee that.

There are more "if"s on this forum than there are Lees in a chinese phonebook. You can say "if" all you want. That isn't going to change what IS happening

864568[/snapback]

Ifs are all we got man...I am just trying to keep my spirits up...because if not, and with the way this team has been playing....The ole 12 back has my name on it tonight.

i wont be satisfied to throw in the towel until we complete the trades we are going to make and let things fall into place. im looking at the next nats home series against the marlins as a deciding point for me. i really think they can kick it into gear by then.

864549[/snapback]

that type of optimism is warrented (the type that waits to see where we stand after trades). I have thought about waiting until the trades are done and see what we get out of it. And I KNOW we have one of the smartest GM's in all of baseball (Peter Gammons loves him). But I think the trades will focus more on future baseball rather than right now (see: trading an arm this year compared to when we wouldnt trade pavano last year). And thats why I can't rest my optimism on the trade deadline. But that's just me.

My faith is lost but if we do make something out of this season I will be THE FIRST to admit that I was wrong to lose faith. I garuntee that.

864558[/snapback]

i just cant lose the faith yet. im hoping the shakeups really bring some new life.

Frequent viewer and an infrequent poster.

Musk, don't worry. You've always had realists (like myself) on your side who see an underachieving team just twisting in the wind all season. I started a thread a week or so ago about how the Marlins had plunged from 1st place and ten games over .500 at 26-16 to 44-42 while the rest of the division passed us by.

Now, the tailspin has hit 19-30, a game under .500, and last place in the division, yet the "keep on hoping" mantra still banters on. Managers have been fired for less, yet for some reason Jack is supposed to be immune. Am I giving up on the season? Heck no, but I don't believe that all of a sudden we're going to turn around and play .600 ball the rest of the way. It's called realism.

I figured they would go 5-5 on this road trip (2-2 @ PHI, 2-1 at AZ, 1-2 @ SF). So far it's 1-4.

I still stand at a 85-77 final record with 3rd place. A this point, it will take some work.

2003 is over folks. This is 2005.

I think a lot of optimism (at least from me) is riding on how this team responds to a loss like last night. God knows we never could build on dramatic wins (Braves, Brewers) to go on an extended winning streak, so maybe this won't have any bearing.

We can't lose any more ground for me to say we're still realistically in it, especially when the Baltimore/Pittsburgh thing (which will be the last move we'll make barring a massively unexpected surge/dropoff) is a horrible trade for us.

You all can lose faith if you want, but I'm not giving up on this team yet. I still feel that this team is a trade or two away from going on a hot streak and we are still very much in it.

864592[/snapback]

good point. all any team needs in this division is a week hot streak to get back into things. thats how fickle the division is.

You all can lose faith if you want, but I'm not giving up on this team yet. I still feel that this team is a trade or two away from going on a hot streak and we are still very much in it.

864592[/snapback]

this "hot streak" you speak of is going to have to be of the .600 baseball variety and that still might not even do it. And you're telling me that getting maybe 1 everyday player and maybe a couple of arms in the bullpen is going to all of the sudden turn a sub .500 team into a .600+ team from this point on? This team's problems go deeper than just on the field performance. Why can't you see that?

The fact that there is no leadership, no mangerial control, and trade rumors and firing rumors swirling ever since they lost their first game doesn't help the clubhouse atmosphere. And this is where you say "well thats why we should fire jack". So not only are you suggesting trades (and they will have to be of substantial magnitude to produce the outcome you are looking for) but you are also suggesting fiiring a manager. Those are some DRASTIC changes to be made in July when most teams that are winning have a healthy chemistry established.