Fun little music facts

Guest Juanky

Guest Juanky

Post here any cool info you think people might not know (or even if they might know it) about songs or artists. Here's a few to start off:

- One, by Metallica, is about the book Johnny Got A Gun. In the book, the solder who is wounded spasms his body in morse code to tap out K-I-L-L M-E to his general when he is visited in the hospital. It is said that during the song, guitarist Kirk Hammet taps out K-I-L-L M-E in morse code.

- For Roxanne by The Police, Sting chose the name Roxanne because it has a rich history behind it. Roxanne was the name of Alexander The Great's wife and Cyrano DeBergerac's girlfriend. Another fun fact about The Police, the performance at the Rock n Roll Hall of Fame induction was their second since they broke up in 1986. The other? A drunken jam at Sting's wedding in 1992.

- For Sympathy for the Devil by the Rolling Stones, one verse of lyrics was recited by Intel Vice President Steve McGeady during his testimony in Microsoft's antitrust trial in November 1998. McGeady had written a memo about Microsoft with the subject "Sympathy For The Devil," and when asked whether he was calling Microsoft the devil, McGeady recited the passage about using your well-learned politesse. (thanks, Keith - Seattle, WA)

I kept off Stairway to Heaven and Pink Floyd because you can make full topics on both of them, but feel free to bring some stuff up if you want.

Speaking of Pink Floyd, I always liked on The Wall how the first words spoken are "...we came in?" and then at the very end of the album, it says, "Isn't this where?" When I got that album for my birthday several years ago, I listened to it everyday for about 3 months disecting it and listening to every little detail. I love it when you can do that with music. That is probably why I like Nine Inch Nails so much because a lot of Trent's music has so many little parts to it that you might not pick up on until you listen many times.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.