October 6, 200521 yr 1. The Marlins attendence doesnt correlate with their winning I was curious about that, so I calculated the correlation. The correlation of the attendance to winning is -.1977864214 for the Marlins since 1993. That means about 4% of the variation in attendance can be explained by amount of wins. Here's the shocker, according to statistics, as the Marlins get more wins, they're attendance goes down. Of course numbers don't tell the whole story.
October 6, 200521 yr Is Miami really a football town? Or are people just Dolphin bandwagoners from the 10+ years in which this team was good? Dolphin Stadium wasn't really full last year when they tanked. :mischief2 Miami is a bandwagon city. Very true, but just for the sake of argument, if the Dolphins and Marlins made a similar personel move on the same day, the Dolphins would get the majority of the local media coverage. Attendance is a whole different story, the people down here only show up sporadically if you're winning, but as far as what gets "top billing" I think it's in this order: Dolphins Heat Marlins Panthers I remember the Florida 50 states in 50 days thing from ESPN. Football took like 70 or 85 % of the popular sport, baseball got like 3. something percent.
October 6, 200521 yr Author Is Miami really a football town? Or are people just Dolphin bandwagoners from the 10+ years in which this team was good? Dolphin Stadium wasn't really full last year when they tanked. :mischief2 Miami is a bandwagon city. Very true, but just for the sake of argument, if the Dolphins and Marlins made a similar personel move on the same day, the Dolphins would get the majority of the local media coverage. Attendance is a whole different story, the people down here only show up sporadically if you're winning, but as far as what gets "top billing" I think it's in this order: Dolphins Heat Marlins Panthers on top of that, i'd say that college football is more popular than any of the sports there, probably even a little higher than pro football. on the boston topic, i'd say the patriots have a similar problem up here. of course their attendance is great these days, but in terms of media attention they're still in the red sox' shadow. don't know much about their attendance pre-super bowl.
October 6, 200521 yr Is Miami really a football town? Or are people just Dolphin bandwagoners from the 10+ years in which this team was good? Dolphin Stadium wasn't really full last year when they tanked. :mischief2 Miami is a bandwagon city. Very true, but just for the sake of argument, if the Dolphins and Marlins made a similar personel move on the same day, the Dolphins would get the majority of the local media coverage. Attendance is a whole different story, the people down here only show up sporadically if you're winning, but as far as what gets "top billing" I think it's in this order: Dolphins Heat Marlins Panthers on top of that, i'd say that college football is more popular than any of the sports there, probably even a little higher than pro football. on the boston topic, i'd say the patriots have a similar problem up here. of course their attendance is great these days, but in terms of media attention they're still in the red sox' shadow. don't know much about their attendance pre-super bowl. Patriots biggest problem is that they're the only of the 4 major teams to play outside of Boston itself.
October 8, 200521 yr Rather than say it again, I'll just post a link to my earlier comments. http://www.marlinbaseball.com/forums/index...ndpost&p=883050 Unfortunately, since I posted that on August 1, the Marlins became a very frustrating team to root for, and the Sox' bandwagon came to a screeching halt. And I moved to the west coast. I'm now "19 minutes from a box seat" at PacBell/SBC, and I will NOT become a Giants fan, thank you... sheesh, what a freak show. And this year they didn't even have the freak. I went to a few A's games, but the crowd is half asleep, even when they're winning. And the A's stadium is truly atrocious... $14 parking, cramped concourses, few TV's, and terrible, terrible seating. I'm really gonna miss going to the Marlins' games; it has to be one of the most underrated experiences in all of sports.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.