November 4, 200520 yr NEW YORK ? (AP) ? Ron Guidry rejoined the New York Yankees on Friday as the team's pitching coach, and former Boston manager Joe Kerrigan was hired as bullpen coach. Guidry, the 1978 AL Cy Young Award winner, was a three-time 20-game winner who played for the Yankees from 1975-88. He has been a spring training instructor for the team since 1990, and his number, 49, was retired by the Yankees in 2003. Kerrigan was the Red Sox pitching coach from 1997 until he became manager on August 2001, a job that lasted until the following March. He was hired by the Yankees in July as a special adviser to general manager Brian Cashman. Kerrigan became the fourth former major league manager added this week to Joe Torre's staff, following third base coach Admin Bowa, bench coach Lee Mazzilli and first base coach Tony Pena. The only holdover from last season is hitting coach Don Mattingly, Guidry's former teammate.
November 5, 200520 yr I really hope the Yankees pitching can become a force.... we shouldn't have to rely on our offense to score 6 runs a game, Pavano can be a great 2 pitcher, behind Randy, and Chacon is worth a 3 or 4 spot with Wright, Moose, and Wang in the mix. I think Guidry should help, although he has been there anyways for several years now during spring training
November 5, 200520 yr In the end it's the players who have to perform, not the coaches. I like the hiring(s) but I don't think the solution is some big name coaches
November 5, 200520 yr I like the hiring(s) but I don't think the solution is some big name coaches My hope is that The Boss has faith in his coaches and LISTENS TO THEM. If he lets the coaches pick their players, Cashman's job will be easier and the Yanks will stop signing octogenarian pitchers!
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.