Herald: Marlins seeking more for Beckett?

MarlinatPenn

Marlins seeking more for Beckett?

BY CLARK SPENCER

cspencer@herald.com

Josh Beckett has suddenly become a hot attraction now that the Marlins have made it known that he, like most of their high-profile players, isn't untouchable. But even though interest in the pitcher appeared to gather additional steam on Sunday, sources said the Marlins might wind up holding on to the right-hander.

''Someone would have to knock their socks off,'' said one source with knowledge of negotiations involving Beckett.

The Marlins are using Beckett as a vehicle to unload third baseman Mike Lowell, if not other players with large salaries that the Marlins want to deal.

The Texas Rangers are one club that has agreed to take Lowell in order to obtain Beckett, offering third baseman Hank Blalock and one of two pitching prospects -- either John Danks or Thomas Diamond -- that the Marlins were demanding.

The Rangers made another pitch to the Marlins on Sunday and are now awaiting a response. It is unclear whether they have finally agreed to give up either Danks or Diamond, former first-round draft picks that the Rangers have been reluctant to include in a trade.

Still, ''there's probably better stuff coming [for the Marlins],'' said one league source, adding that at least two teams -- one in the National League and the other in the American -- have indicated they could be willing to give up more than the Rangers.

The Boston Red Sox and Detroit Tigers have also shown interest in Beckett, who won 15 games last season for the Marlins and was the MVP of the 2003 World Series.

? Elsewhere: Colorado Rockies prospect Ryan Shealy, a graduate of Cardinal Gibbons High in Fort Lauderdale, was named the Most Valuable Player of the 2005 CONCEBE Regional Olympic Qualifying baseball tournament Sunday after leading the U.S. to five wins and the title by batting .500 in 20 at-bats.

By going undefeated in the six-nation event, the U.S. qualifies for Olympic Americas Tournament in Havana, as does Canada and Nicaragua.

Shealy, 26, was drafted 11th by the Rockies in 2002. He plays first base.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/13221897.htm

Let's get the highest value possible for Beckett if we're going to trade him. In the end, I want him to stay because I really don't think other teams will give up equal value for him... I also want him to stay because he's a great pitcher, great clubhouse leader, and has really matured in the last year or so.

On another note, I have a feeling Josh is going to win 20 games next season. Either as a Marlin or on another team.

Let's get the highest value possible for Beckett if we're going to trade him. In the end, I want him to stay because I really don't think other teams will give up equal value for him... I also want him to stay because he's a great pitcher, great clubhouse leader, and has really matured in the last year or so.

On another note, I have a feeling Josh is going to win 20 games next season. Either as a Marlin or on another team.

or miss 6 weeks due to blisters, or his injured shoulder which required him to fly to Birmingham and meet with Dr. Andrews. No one denies his talent, last year was the first time he came close to 30 starts.