Orioles and Millar agree to deal

MrAndMrsFish

Free agent first baseman Kevin Millar has reached a tentative agreement on a one-year contract with

the Baltimore Orioles.

Millar and the Orioles on Thursday neared finalization of the deal, according to a team official who requested

anonymity because the former Boston Red Sox star has not yet taken a physical. The exam, which was expected to take place Thursday, was the only remaining step in the process.

The Orioles thought they had secured outfielder Jeromy Burnitz last month, but he put off taking a physical in Baltimore and ended up signing with the Pittsburgh Pirates in early January.

Millar, however, is expected to make the move from one AL East team to another.

"It's certainly a piece that helps us along the way,'' first-year manager Sam Perlozzo said. "We're starting to

fill some holes.''

Millar hit .276 with 25 home runs and 96 RBIs with Boston in 2003, then batted .297 with 18 homers and 74 RBIs for the world champions in 2004.

His production tailed off last year, when he hit .272 with nine homers and 50 RBIs.

The Orioles don't see Millar as a full-time player, but expect to use him often, and at a variety of positions.

"I see him playing a lot of first base, designated hitter and in the outfield,'' Perlozzo said. "We get a guy with playoff experience, someone who was part of a World Series team. We can use that kind of player in our clubhouse. It gives us a little chemistry.''

Millar, 34, is a career .289 batter over 932 games and exactly 3,000 at-bats. He has hit 111 homers and driven in 471 runs.

He has been used mostly at first base and in the outfield, but has also been used at third base and as a DH.

Wow overflow of 1B/OF/DH's with the signing of Conine and now Millar....baltimore is becoming marlins north LOL....

They got the chemistry part right, the guy is a clown, not saying it's a bad thing, he is great as a person AND player! Good luck to Mr. Millar!

:plain

As much as I didn't like him, he was still one of the '25' and that means something to me. I dont think he has much at all left in the tank, but good luck Kevin.

What a stupid signing for the O's.

Poor Conine.

Dear Peter Angelos,

Pitching.

Love,

Baseball

ur dumb. this isnt a bad signing at all. it gives them the freedom to switch people around. gibbons, millar, conine and lopez all now are 1b, lf, and rf options. i like the signing and millar is one hell of a character to have on a team. not this will do anything for baltimore what so ever when it comes down to it but good for them.

"Is that why he threw Nomar, then his teammate, under the bus before the 2004 season? With friends like that..."

LOL, I never heard of this, can I please have a link to this story ASAP, thanks....oh my..can't wait to read, lol

You're kidding, right? In 2003-04 when A-Rod was rumored to be moving to the Red Sox, Millar went on public to support the deal, which then prefaced on Nomar leaving town. Now maybe it was a good move and all, but a good teammate is loyal. He has your back. He doesn't criticize you to the media. He doesn't question your heart to the press. He doesn't rat you out to the media or the manager. He doesn't throw you under the bus. He's there by your side.

That's a good person in the clubhouse. Someone you can trust. Someone who is fan friendly, which Millar is, is not necessarily a quality clubhouse presence.

"Is that why he threw Nomar, then his teammate, under the bus before the 2004 season? With friends like that..."

LOL, I never heard of this, can I please have a link to this story ASAP, thanks....oh my..can't wait to read, lol

You're kidding, right? In 2003-04 when A-Rod was rumored to be moving to the Red Sox, Millar went on public to support the deal, which then prefaced on Nomar leaving town. Now maybe it was a good move and all, but a good teammate is loyal. He has your back. He doesn't criticize you to the media. He doesn't question your heart to the press. He doesn't rat you out to the media or the manager. He doesn't throw you under the bus. He's there by your side.

That's a good person in the clubhouse. Someone you can trust. Someone who is fan friendly, which Millar is, is not necessarily a quality clubhouse presence.

He said A-Rod would improve the team and would support the deal.

Dont make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Nomar threw himself under the bus and set fire to his own paths out of town.

Guest markotsay7

What a stupid signing for the O's.

Poor Conine.

Dear Peter Angelos,

Pitching.

Love,

Baseball

ur dumb. this isnt a bad signing at all. it gives them the freedom to switch people around. gibbons, millar, conine and lopez all now are 1b, lf, and rf options. i like the signing and millar is one hell of a character to have on a team. not this will do anything for baltimore what so ever when it comes down to it but good for them.

Thanks for the personal attack. Much appreciated. I'm entitled to my opinion, which is that when they have no pitching, they keep signing people that play the same position.

He said A-Rod would improve the team and would support the deal.

Dont make a mountain out of a mole hill.

Nomar threw himself under the bus and set fire to his own paths out of town.

If you were a fan you might say that. If you were a scout or general manager you might say that. If you were a media writer you might say that. But a teammate? Never! Ever! Millar broke the bond, not Nomar. Just because you like seeing a player out there having fun and playing the game like it's the same game you played in little league or on the playground doesn't mean he's a good player or a good guy to everyone. It just means you relate to him.