Why haven't we...

TSwift25

Offered Helms to the Cubs yet?

All I read is that they're stalking Conine/Millar and Tony the Tiger (well, D'Back, I guess). Helms is a much better option than all of those three given his lefty splits and his ability to be full-time and part time with little complaint and I'm pretty certain Hendry would be desperate enough to fill the 1st base void (Walker's hitting 1-18 against southpaws) that he'd dip into the farm. I'm not saying, or pretending, that we'd get Pie or Pawelek or Guzman in return, but some of their guys have fallen from grace, and are blocked by players under contract...Brian Dopriak jumps to mind.

Seriously, I'd be very disappointed if the Cubs come away with Conine or Millar or Clark and we don't at least offer Helms.

Love Helms to death, but he doesn't figure into the long-term plans and we can capitalize on another teams sudden need.

Why not offer Jacobs?? Since we got Stokes, maybe we can get Pie for Jacobs......

I love his potential, but it seems to me long-term we have NO CF solution, and we have other options at first base.

I'd rather offer Stokes.

But yeah, that is a good idea to offer Helms. He's not exactly a clutch hitter anyways.

Why not offer Jacobs?? Since we got Stokes, maybe we can get Pie for Jacobs......

I love his potential, but it seems to me long-term we have NO CF solution, and we have other options at first base.

Might as well ask them for Prior and Guzman too, there's no way in hell they move Pie, especially for a first-baseman.

For a trade to happen, both parties have to be interested in it.

Might as well ask them for Prior and Guzman too, there's no way in hell they move Pie, especially for a first-baseman.

well, what do you think they'd give us for a rental??

We gave up Adrian Gonzalez for the stretch run...how much would they give up to keep them in the race?

well, what do you think they'd give us for a rental??

We gave up Adrian Gonzalez for the stretch run...how much would they give up to keep them in the race?

Jacobs isn't keeping them in the race and we gave up Adrian Gonzalez for a PLAYER OF NEED AT A POSITION OF WEAKNESS, this would be a trade to PLUG AN INJURY for maybe a month.

Apples to oranges.

Here, let me go overly simplistic:

Derrek Lee is hurt. Todd Walker isn't producing for power and is better suited to second base to get Jerry Hairston Jr. out of the lineup.

Helms makes sense as a plug. They will not use him as a starter long term and as such will not pay a starter's price for him.

We'd probably look to move Helms at the deadline anyway, this chance literally fell into our laps to get some value back for him, I'd like to see it used.

Helms certainly isn't the best option on the market and there's no way in hell they'd trade for Mike Jacobs.

Tony Clark is probably their best option. He's an awesome defender at the bag and hit 30 homers last year in limited time.

According to a report today, the Cubs feel the price for Clark is prohibitive. http://chicagosports.chicagotribune.com/sp...-cubs-headlines

Don't forget this guys, we are not trading for starters this year. Loria is NOT going to add payroll for ANYTHING this year, and probably next year as well. Any trades we make will be for prospects.

Just keep that in mind.

I doubt anyone forgot that HJ.... Id take some prospects for Helms

Don't forget this guys, we are not trading for starters this year. Loria is NOT going to add payroll for ANYTHING this year, and probably next year as well. Any trades we make will be for prospects.

Just keep that in mind.

I doubt anyone forgot that HJ.... Id take some prospects for Helms

Me too :thumbup

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.