May 7, 200620 yr this is just a call of desperation. stokes will not fair much better at all and would probably strikeout 40-50 times per 100AB. I doubt it...Stokes has hit good at every level. I'll put money on it that he can hit .250 or better with more power. Hitting good at every level doesn't mean there is success in the bigs. Baseball is littered with guys who slugged in the minors, but then got exposed by MLB quality pitchers and not AA/AAA chum. Stokes has averaged a whiff 27% of every plate apperance through his minor league career. In AB above single A, he has whiffed 29% of the time. This percentage is not improving when he starts facing Pedro Martinez and John Smoltz versus whoever is in the PCL (Frank Castillo types). I think 40-50 is a bit high, but it's going to be pretty bad. Wily Mo Pena can do it though. Maybe Stokes can just bash a .450 slugging while offering little with other contact hitting and OBP potential (I think the walks go way down when pitchers realize he will swing at anything). Not saying not to call him up when healthy because we obviously need to try something, but I'd personally throw Helms at 1B 4 games a week and, as you will see more below, maybe temporarily just play Uggla at 1B and use Amezaga or Andino at 2B a little bit. When Hermida gets back, another idea is Willingham can probably take over 1B, and they could put Borchard in LF, Hermida in RF, then whatever out machine needs playing time in CF. i like Marlins2003's idea of moving Cabs to 1B and Andindo to 3B Yeah, let's tell the team's star player to change positions for a rookie. If the idea is to make a starting spot for Andino to fix the 1B situation, the better idea is to play him at 2B, and move Uggla to the corner spot Cabrera does not play at (I'm not opposed to a temporary move to 1B. I think he is just bored in the field this year because the team stinks. He's a future above average defensive 3B). This is obviously a short term fix because in no way shape or form do I consider Uggla a power threat to man a corner, but it'll take some pressure off Jacobs and upgrade the infield defense for sure. Jacobs is pitiful with the glove.
May 7, 200620 yr If the idea is to make a starting spot for Andino to fix the 1B situation, the better idea is to play him at 2B, and move Uggla to the corner spot Cabrera does not play at (I'm not opposed to a temporary move to 1B. I think he is just bored in the field this year because the team stinks. He's a future above average defensive 3B). This is obviously a short term fix because in no way shape or form do I consider Uggla a power threat to man a corner, but it'll take some pressure off Jacobs and upgrade the infield defense for sure. Jacobs is pitiful with the glove. i like that idea also. an Andino/Ramirez middle infield would be wonderful.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.