Devil Rays prospect suspended 50 games for throwing bat at umpire

MrAndMrsFish

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. … (AP) … Tampa Bay prospect Delmon Young was suspended for 50 games without pay by the

International League on Tuesday for throwing a bat that hit a replacement umpire in the chest.

IL president Randy Mobley said he believed the suspension was the longest in the league's 123-year history.

Young was the No. 1 overall pick in the 2003 draft and was chosen the 2005 minor league player of the year by Baseball

America. His brother is Detroit Tigers star Dmitri Young.

"The Tampa Bay Devil Rays fully support the decision,'' the team said in a statement. "As stated before, we do not

tolerate this type of conduct from anyone in the Devil Rays' organization.''

The suspension is retroactive to April 27, the day after Young tossed his bat in a Triple-A game while playing for

Durham. The 20-year-old outfielder has agreed to perform at least 50 hours of community service, and can play again June

Tampa Bay said it expected Young to resume training at its minor league complex this week.

The IL issued an indefinite suspension following the bat-throwing in Pawtucket, R.I. The umpire, filling in for

striking minor league umps, was not injured.

"The goal in reviewing this very serious matter was to arrive at a fair and just action against Mr. Young,'' Mobley

said. With the suspension "and the significant fine as a result of the loss of salary, I believe this has been

accomplished.''

"Delmon was in agreement that community service would be part of the final action taken by the League,'' he said. "My

hope is that this unfortunate incident can have a positive and life changing impact on Delmon's personal and

professional life.''

Young was ejected in the first inning after taking a called third strike. He lingered in the batter's box, walked

away and then threw his bat end over end at the umpire, hitting him in the chest.

"I sincerely regret my actions in the game yesterday,'' Young said in a statement released the next day by the office

of his agent, Arn Tellem. "Regrettably, in the heat of the competition my emotions got the better of me.

"My behavior was completely unacceptable. I want everyone to know that I recognize that it is never right to throw a

bat and I certainly never intended for the bat to make contact with the umpire. Nevertheless, I owe an apology to my

team, the fans and most importantly to the umpire, for the incident. I am sorry.''

In Double-A ball last year, Young was suspended for three games by the Southern League for bumping the chest of plate

umpire Jeff Latter.

Regular minor league umpires are on strike this season. Fill-ins umps … most of them with college or high school

experience … have been working in their place. Minor league teams are not releasing the names of the replacements.

"It's an unfortunate incident and there should be no place for actions like that in the game of baseball,'' the

umpire said in a statement released by Pawtucket. "Any official should not be treated like that. He embarrassed

himself and his teammates.''

it was too light but for the wrong reason.

the way to punish this guy is take his free time away from him. he isnt losing anything in his pay all his money was from his signing bonus so 50 less game checks doesnt mean a thing to him. and now he is just given free time to chill out.

no what should have happened is suspend him for 5 games and give him 500 hours of community service maybe he would learn something and become a better human being. trust me which is more of a punishment to him 50 games out or having to work out 500 hours of community service?

Guest Juanky

He should have gotten the entire season and should have been forced to do a sh*tload of community service.

It's unacceptable that he gets only 50 games for breaking the #1 rule of onfield play.

Guest CrimsonCane

Agreed. It should be an entire season before Young is allowed to put on a uniform. A 50 game, retroactive suspension means he'll be able to be on the field again in a little more than a month AFTER THROWING A BAT AT AN UMPIRE! Hell, he'll be back at the training complex in a week. What the hell kind of punishment is that?

He should've gotten a 1 yr. suspension and been issued a huge fine.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.