Jamie McLennan signs with the Flames

Accord

The Calgary Flames signed veteran goalie Jamie McLennan to a $575,000, one-year deal Thursday to back up star netminder Miikka Kiprusoff. It's McLennan's second tour of duty with the Flames, having played parts of the 2002-03 and 2003-04 seasons with the club before being dealt in March 2004. "I've got a special place in my heart for Calgary and the organization," McLennan said Thursday from his native Edmonton. "I missed out on the playoff run in '04. So any chance you have a chance to go back to contender, that's really special. I'm really happy." The 35-year-old was Roberto Luongo's backup last season in Florida, going 2-4-0 in 17 games with a 3.01 goals-against average and .906 save percentage. McLellan is 77-104-33 all-time with a 2.64 GAA and .898 save percentage. The Flames started last season with Phil Sauve as their backup goalie before finishing the year with Brian Boucher in that role. Kiprusoff played in 74 games while Sauve/Boucher combined for only 11 games. McLellan is used to it after doing it with Luongo. "It takes a different mindset to be in that role," he said. "Your job is to work hard in practice and give your guys a good target to shoot at. You have to stay positive all the time, and you have contribute when you finally get into a game. You can't look rusty. There's no excuse just because you didn't play for a month and I pride myself on trying to do that."

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/article.jsp...706_090024_5504