Marlins Pitching Prospects Realizing or Exceeding Expectations

As I read these trade rumor threads, I am continually suprised at how many fans seem to be willing to trade our rookie starting pitchers.

We have three rookie pitchers ? Scott Olsen, Josh Johnson and Ricky Nolasco ? that are very close to winning their tenth game in late July. The current ace of our staff ended up winning the Rookie of the Year Award a few years ago winning 14 games. Johnson leads the NL in ERA. Olsen is showing glimpses of what he might become ? a strikeout machine. Nolasco came close to throwing a no hitter last night.

And then there is our fourth rookie pitcher in the rotation, Anibal Sanchez. This guy just set the record for scoreless innings pitched by a Marlins rookie a few nights ago.

Maybe I am just foolish, but when you have so many stud pitching prospects to trade why would you not trade those prospects for impact players rather than the prospects who have proved their worth and then some? For every 10 prospects out there, 9 inevitably fail. We have four former SP prospects who have all shown they could form, with Dontrelle Willis, one of the most formidable rotations in all of baseball.

Just my 2 cents.

Totally agree 100%.

That's why I'm perplexed when I see people saying "Don't trade Pinto/Petit/Gaby/etc whatever you do!" when we have these four guys who will probably be in the rotation for years to come. We've got a surplus of pitching prospects, and even if we trade Pinto/Petit/Gaby we still have Volstad/West/Thompson/Garcia/Sinkbeil/etc.

The pitching depth of this organization is sick, but I wouldn't be trading Nolasco/JJ/Olsen/Sanchez whatsoever.

Exactly why I've been saying that Pinto has no future in the Marlin's rotation and should have strongly been considered for trading for Pierre...

But ya, guys like Pinto, Gaby, Petit are all expendable. We have another batch of studs in Greensboro that will all be ready at relatively the same time (2008-2009ish). But for now, I don't see anybody cracking the current rotation. Possibly one of our current pitchers might falter next year, but that can be patched up by one of the many prospects we have (especially if Gaby is still here)

I agree 100% with what all of what you guys said. This team is blessed with great starters. If we do trade 1/2 of our prospects for an OF'er, we still have a nice handful left to choose from.

Right now I want to trade for a young OF'er that will be our everday starter next year. I rather do it now then after the season.

Makes perfect sense to me. I think a lot of us thought that it would take a few years to really get an idea as to how this rotation would look like and what group of guys would help lead this team into the future. Well with Dontrelle struggling, its nice to see Nolasco, Johnson and Olsen really step up and grow up quicker than anyone of us could have possibly imagined.By the end of the season, these three pitchers could easily reach the 14 or 15 win mark and be well on their way to winning RoY. Anibal Sanchez could even win 10 games by the end of the season, not bad for somebody who didn't get his first start till June.

Most of us watched guys like A.J., Josh Beckett, Brad Penny, Ryan Dempster and others come up and struggle their first few seasons. There really is no other way around it, we all should feel really lucky by these group of guys.

As I read these trade rumor threads, I am continually suprised at how many fans seem to be willing to trade our rookie starting pitchers.

We have three rookie pitchers ? Scott Olsen, Josh Johnson and Ricky Nolasco ? that are very close to winning their tenth game in late July. The current ace of our staff ended up winning the Rookie of the Year Award a few years ago winning 14 games. Johnson leads the NL in ERA. Olsen is showing glimpses of what he might become ? a strikeout machine. Nolasco came close to throwing a no hitter last night.

And then there is our fourth rookie pitcher in the rotation, Anibal Sanchez. This guy just set the record for scoreless innings pitched by a Marlins rookie a few nights ago.

Maybe I am just foolish, but when you have so many stud pitching prospects to trade why would you not trade those prospects for impact players rather than the prospects who have proved their worth and then some? For every 10 prospects out there, 9 inevitably fail. We have four former SP prospects who have all shown they could form, with Dontrelle Willis, one of the most formidable rotations in all of baseball.

Just my 2 cents.

argee completely, i would reject Any offer that involved more then one of them. they are all almost as valuble as willis and i would need to be blown away with like one of the willis type offers.

If there's anybody here that doesn't realize "how lucky we are" as you put it....or how wonderful the rookie starters have been this season please raise your hand. I think we all realize. They have exceeded expectations no matter what happens from here on in, but the question now and at the beginning of the sewason was how they would do in the 6th and 7th month of the season. We shall see. I'm more optimistic now than I was at the beginning of the year, not because of how they've pitched so far, but because I like how Giraldi has managed the pitching staff, and the emergence of Anibel has deepened the rotation.