Riley to return as Heat coach

MrAndMrsFish

MIAMI … (AP) … Pat Riley will be coaching the Miami Heat when their NBA championship banner is raised.

Riley confirmed Wednesday that he'll return as coach for the 2006-07 season, ending speculation that he might retire at age 61.

He led the Heat to their first league title … and his seventh as a coach or player … in June.

"After winning the championship, I realized there's always something meaningful that happens in your life that becomes the primary point of your destiny,'' Riley said in a statement. "Winning the championship showed me that I am definitely in the right place, at the right time, with the right people. I can't wait to get started.''

Riley has a 1,151 regular-season coaching wins and 171 postseason victories. He returned to the sideline last Dec. 12, taking over when Stan Van Gundy resigned for personal reasons. Van Gundy, who remains under contract with the organization, replaced Riley when he stepped aside shortly before the 2003-04 season began.

great news for the Heat to have their wizard head coach back for another run this coming season...now the only piece of the pie that is missing is the Glove