Miami-Dade season ticket holders slightly outnumber Broward

Quadruple Play

Why are the Marlins so stuck on putting a stadium in Miami when they could put one in Broward County? There haven't even been reports that they have tried for Broward County. If they put a stadium in Miami, wouldn't they be losing fan base from north Broward and Palm Beach County? I know attendance hasn't been very good, but I think that's because they are so stuck on Miami. What's so great about Miami?

-- Kevin G., Hollywood, Fla.

Miami-Dade County, for starters, has a lot more population than Broward and Palm Beach counties. The team's season-ticket base is slightly higher in Miami-Dade than it is in Broward. Of the three counties, season tickets are by far the lowest from Palm Beach County. So the bulk of the fan base, at least from season tickets sales, is Miami-Dade and Broward, and that's with a stadium in the north part of Miami-Dade County. To directly answer your question, Broward has shown zero interest in working with the Marlins on a new stadium. These deals take time, and for the past few years, the Marlins have talked to the cities of Miami and Hialeah, in Miami-Dade.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...sp&c_id=fla

Why are the Marlins so stuck on putting a stadium in Miami when they could put one in Broward County? There haven't even been reports that they have tried for Broward County. If they put a stadium in Miami, wouldn't they be losing fan base from north Broward and Palm Beach County? I know attendance hasn't been very good, but I think that's because they are so stuck on Miami. What's so great about Miami?

-- Kevin G., Hollywood, Fla.

Miami-Dade County, for starters, has a lot more population than Broward and Palm Beach counties. The team's season-ticket base is slightly higher in Miami-Dade than it is in Broward. Of the three counties, season tickets are by far the lowest from Palm Beach County. So the bulk of the fan base, at least from season tickets sales, is Miami-Dade and Broward, and that's with a stadium in the north part of Miami-Dade County. To directly answer your question, Broward has shown zero interest in working with the Marlins on a new stadium. These deals take time, and for the past few years, the Marlins have talked to the cities of Miami and Hialeah, in Miami-Dade.

http://florida.marlins.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/...sp&c_id=fla

The breakdown by county hasn't moved much since '03 or '04 because back then Miami-Dade and Broward were pretty much even with about 40% with Palm Beach making up only about 10%. I guess now Miami-Dade moved ahead of Broward while Palm Beach continues making up only a minimal percentage of the fan base.

Reading this board (and believing some of the nonsense written on this topic) one would think the Palm Beach and Miami-Dade numbers were reversed with Palm Beach having the highest and Miami-Dade the lowest.

Some people seem to think and refer to the stadium as being in Miami but that is not Miami. The thing is that people who live in a big crowded city do not expect to have to drive that far. I know a lot of people don't agree with that but that's just the way it is. It's true in every big city that if you deal with and pay the consequences of living there you expect to have things closer to you. If you live in a city outside the big city you know you are usually going to have to drive a long way to get to certain things. More people who live in Broward commute to jobs in Miami than the other way around, etc.

I'm a season ticket holder and I live in Miami but I know a lot of people who follow the Marlins regularly who just won't drive out there. If the stadium was in Miami I think they would.

I am sure broward people would show up to watch the fish in downtown or in Hialeah. I have season tickets to the heat I have a Plantation person behind me and Miramar to my left on my right they don't show up as much but have had tickets for 4 years are 2 older gentlemen from WPB. So i think tri county people will show up when they can..p.s need a dome staduim :)