October 15, 200619 yr As a Cuban-American.....I don't think anything he said was that offensive. Pineilla should have fired back with a joke about white people and ended it there. People suck. Piniella is white since Hispanic is not a race and he is neither black nor bi-racial. I guess you mean fired back with a joke about whatever Lyons' background is. That may very well be what would have happened off the air but on a nationally broadcast postseason game not much chance of that. It would have just created more controversy. I think the reason they were so quick to fire him is because of the previous warnings.
October 15, 200619 yr 'White' is a very generally accepted term for Americans of Anglo-Saxon or otherwise European descent, more specifically White Anglo Saxon Protestants. And as long as 'Hispanic' is a listed minority, it's a race. Just because he's a white Hispanic doesn't mean he's not Hispanic. As long as you have a Hispanic last name, you're Hispanic no matter how well you speak English or how long you've been here. Truth hurts.
October 16, 200619 yr I didn't mean he wasn't hispanic, he is. I meant that he's white and of European descent. Just because hispanic is a listed minority doesn't mean it's a race just as white Americans of European descent are not necessarily Anglo-Saxon. In any case, it's not even worth discussing. My point was that Piniella firing back at Lyons may be the norm in a private conversation but would just have created a bigger firestorm on the air. Lyons had just had to apologize for making fun of a fan in the stands wearing a device over his eyes. The man had very little vision and the device enabled him to see the game. Combined with the suspension after the Shawn Green remarks I think it was just one too many times he spoke without thinking. Just as we all know there are certain things that are not acceptable to talk about at work you would think Lyons would have figured it out by now.
October 16, 200619 yr Maybe, but people shouldn't be afraid of talking about another culture. I mean, there are certain things you don't say, but you can't take the other extreme and treat opposite races like an elephant in the room. If Pineilla says something back instead of being quiet, Lyons doesn't get in trouble for saying something that isn't a big deal. Book it.
October 16, 200619 yr Lame.. how can you boot him for that? I'm thinking they were looking to fire him before this if they canned him for this.
October 16, 200619 yr Lame move, America is just too sensative Exactly.. Good thing Carlos Mencia isn't in the booth.
Join the conversation
You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.