TiVo Users

Fish4Life

I am looking into getting a Tivo sometime soon...

Those who have it, what do you suggest? I have been looking at the site and see that there are different boxes like the series 2 box. Also the different type of packages. What's better month-by-month or just pre-pay for a year? Are there any better options?

All comments and suggestions would be helpful! Thanks :thumbup

I have tivo in New York and just the regular DVR in Florida.

I like what tivo does in that it lets you put a wishlist in and searches for anything from that wishlist in addition to all the stuff that you just have in your season pass.

HOWEVER

I like the DVR since it lets me record in HD and watch a program while another is recording (may not seem like a big deal, but trust me, it is). Want to watch the Heat and then the Office later and not miss either? DVR will let you do that, tivo won't.

I understand tivo is going to be coming out with a new product that will address this issue, but it'll be first generation technology, so it's most likely to bug out on you.

Really, tivo's a cleaner nicer version, but the dvr gets it done as well. I still like tivo, but it's not without its shortcomings.

Really the best advice I can give is this:

get the tivo if you're not going to watch the tv live, if you're the kind of person who's out of the house from 9 til 9 and you just want to watch the tv on your terms when you have a minute. Get the dvr if you're big into HD, multi-channel switching and generally like to watch the tv live.

honestly the comcast DVR i have beats out my friends tivo. mine is only about 9.99 a month added to the cable bill and it does every thing the tivo HD recorder does(and you spend about 800 dollars less). even can record two programs at a time(in both HD and standard).

Guest FlummoxedLummox

What service do you have? DirecTV or cable? Do you have HD and, if so, do you want to get an HD dvr?

I have comcast... No HD... Shall I go with Tivo? If you had asked about DirecTV, I'd feel that I could steer you in th right direction, but I just don't have too much experience with Comcast.

if you decide to get HD from comcast i think they just send you a reciever, and thats it... im not sure exactly how it works simply because i dont have it myself but i think once you get the reciever everything else works normally the dvr can record HD and standard def programming at the same time(the only thing it cant do is record two HD programs at a time). if your tv supports it they might even just send you a Cablecard which works about the same way as a cable box... the only catch with that is that its a one way deal, so im not sure how it affects ppv and on demand services(they might have to give you two cablecards, one designed to send and one designed to recieve).

btw to answer your question about tivo or comcast, go with comcast. its only 9.95 a month for the added dvr functionality and it does everything the tivo does, and in some cases more.

and you can also get HowardTV with comcast, its not available on DirectTV, not yet at least. thats even if your a fan of Stern, i am thats the only reason i mention it.

I have a Tivo from DirecTV... it's great and everything but it's very basic. I really wish I could transfer programs to my computer but I can't.

why not?

All the Tivo software, cables, etc. are not compatible with DirecTV Tivo systems for some reason, so you can't transfer it to your computer.