Yay, the on-air computer crashed!!

Guest FishFanInPA

Guest FlummoxedLummox

My station had our on-air computer crash and now we're scrambling to recover....needless to say we're screwed if we can't fix it.

I worked in production for the ABC affiliate in Gainesville. One time, the computer connected to the control board crashed a 1/2 hour before a show. Rushing to get it fixed, the engineers brought in an ancient backup computer and got it connected minutes before our on air cue. None of the graphics were loaded, so there were no over-the-shoulder boxes in studio, there were no locater supers, there was nothing. All we were able to air were live feeds from in studio cameras and satellites, and taped packages from the VTR. None of the transitional graphics worked, so switching between segements was done with a straight cut. It looked like a high school AV club put the segment together. Boy was that a stressful afternoon.

Guest marlins02

this is all so comforting for me :lol

rooting for my misfortune? Very nice...

wtf dude no, i mean its "comforting" for me because im going into the same buisness. i can only imagine the pain in the ass this sh*t is to you (quotation is for the sarcasm).

Guest FishFanInPA

this is all so comforting for me :lol

rooting for my misfortune? Very nice...

wtf dude no, i mean its "comforting" for me because im going into the same buisness. i can only imagine the pain in the ass this sh*t is to you (quotation is for the sarcasm).

Sorry....

Yeah....key for you just entering the business...Back up everything and don't download anything on your on-air computer.

My station had our on-air computer crash and now we're scrambling to recover....needless to say we're screwed if we can't fix it.

I worked in production for the ABC affiliate in Gainesville. One time, the computer connected to the control board crashed a 1/2 hour before a show. Rushing to get it fixed, the engineers brought in an ancient backup computer and got it connected minutes before our on air cue. None of the graphics were loaded, so there were no over-the-shoulder boxes in studio, there were no locater supers, there was nothing. All we were able to air were live feeds from in studio cameras and satellites, and taped packages from the VTR. None of the transitional graphics worked, so switching between segements was done with a straight cut. It looked like a high school AV club put the segment together. Boy was that a stressful afternoon.

that happened at our station at QU. Since we only have 1 studio and classes, guests, ect use it and we only get 10 hours a week and 4 of those devoted to the Q30 News. Someone else had used the computer and changed stuff around, and we figured that with about 10 mins before the show. Thankfully, we had back-up programming and went to that and aired our news pre-recorded. We fixed the computer and everything was there.

FishFanInPA and Flummoxed, can you guys im me. I'm curious what you all do in communications, since I am studying to be in TV on air, but still want to work in technical.

thanks guys.

At my internship last summer, there was a day with a big storm. It messed up the main weather computer as well as the "telewriter" - even restarting that machine couldn't erase the scribbles on-screen. Of course, this was discovered when the graphics (statistics about storms) were needed during the broadcast. One of the weathermen (two were working that night because of the storm) was broadcasting just outside the studio, and was able to keep his composure as the production crew was screaming that there were "NO GRAPHICS". He was hired permanently not too long before this happened, and so I think he gained a lot of respect that day by keeping the on-air image under control amidst the chaos in the control room. That was an interesting day - I spent a half-hour watching in the control room (when this happened), and then the next hour in-studio, where the power went out and the generators didn't fully kick in (but we were only off-air for maybe 30 seconds, and we were tossing to commercial break anyway). It really showed me that you have to be ready for anything in this business - Murphy's Law generally applies all the time.

So, FishFanInPA, did everything turn out well?

Guest FishFanInPA

Well right now the station is being run off the ESPN Network but none of our spots are running during the breaks...It's better then it was earlier today but we're not out of the clear yet.