Led Zeppelin reunion rumors

Guest Juanky

Led Zeppelin To Jump On the Reunion Bandwagon

Reports from Tornoto's Classic rock station over the weekend claim that rock giants Led Zeppelin could be about the reform with original bass player John Paul Jones in talks with Jimmy Page and Robert Plant about the possibility of some live shows.

The band split in 1980 after the tragic death of drummer John Bonham but had partial reunions in 1985, 1988 and 1995 for Live Aid in Philadelphia.

Should Led Zeppelin reunite, they will join in increasing number of bands to get back together in the past couple of months including Genesis, Jesus and Mary Chain, Crowded House, James, Rage against the Machine and The Police.

Source

2007 Led Zeppelin tour: Wishful thinking?

With the announced reunions of Van Halen and the Police, it was only a matter of time until the name Led Zeppelin was thrown into the mix. Rock photographer and Jimmy Page friend Ross Halfin wrote on his website, "John Paul Jones has apparently announced on a Toronto radio station that Led Zeppelin will tour next summer. This of course meant I woke up to a load of mail asking if it's true. Look, I'm not a Led Zeppelin website or news board, I'm sure the official announcement will be out soon with all the details on Jimmy Page's website. The tickets are bound to be cheap -- you can re-mortgage your house to see your heroes."

Jones is supposed to have made the announcement on CILQ-FM, but the station's "Rock Report" says, "None of us have spoken to John Paul Jones recently. If we had, we'd all probably be asking for bass lessons. So to the (idiot) out there spreading rumors... and leading on Zep fans around the world -- your time is gonna come... So once more -- no Zeppelin reunion to speak of. Don't let anybody tell you different."

Of course, that hasn't stopped the British tabloid The Sun from going with the story. Their version says Page, Jones, and Robert Plant met two weeks ago in their management office and quoted a "band insider" as saying, "If the right offer comes up, they will do it," adding that a stadium tour could bring them over $12.5 million.

The late John Bonham's son Jason is supposed to take his father's place on drums. Jason has in recent years been a member of Foreigner, which has dates booked into October.

Source there

Let it begin.

Im sure they get gigantic payday offers all the time to reunite for a tour.....

I once read in several publications that ABBA turned down a 1 BILLION dollar offer to reunite for a tour/new album only to turn it down.

I would say the Zep offer would be very close to that.

I LOVE Zep but has anyone seen pics of Robert Plant lately? I know he doesnt look any worse than Jagger but you have to wonder why they didnt do this reunion 10 years ago (if in fact this is true).

That wasn't reunion season. In the middle of the nu-metal era, I don't think there was a place for all the comebacks. Granted, Led Zep would get top bill anywhere at anytime, but now the money would be sweeter.

And I know the members of Pink Floyd were offered $250 million each to go on tour after Live 8. And they almost did it too, but Gilmour nixed the idea.

wanna see both zep and floyd badly

The latter isn't happening unfortunately.

Hopefully if this hasn't happened the clamor from the public is loud enough that it gets them at least paying attention.

IF JPJ is on board, I'm there. Plant/Page was ehhhhh. It hard enough without Bonzo, wihtout JPJ it isn't nearly the same band.

I LOVE Zep but has anyone seen pics of Robert Plant lately? I know he doesnt look any worse than Jagger but you have to wonder why they didnt do this reunion 10 years ago (if in fact this is true).

Chain-swallowing Ho-Hos?

• 3 weeks later...

If you've heard Plants new album, you can tell his voice is definatly not what it used to be. I just couldn't imagine him being able to do something like opening the Immigrant Song again.

Immigrant Song (the album version) contains a lot of multi-tracked vocals anyway. I seriously doubt he was able to duplicate that even in the bands heydey.

Guest markotsay7

If you've heard Plants new album, you can tell his voice is definatly not what it used to be. I just couldn't imagine him being able to do something like opening the Immigrant Song again.

Immigrant Song (the album version) contains a lot of multi-tracked vocals anyway. I seriously doubt he was able to duplicate that even in the bands heydey.

If you look on YouTube at live videos of Over the Hills and Far Away from the heyday, Plant never sings a high note in that song. He changes the way the entire chorus is sung (the "Many times I've loved," "Mellow is the man," etc. parts). I heard his new album, and he may have deteriorated a little, but I think over all it's still superb and very similar to what it used to be.

If you look on YouTube at live videos of Over the Hills and Far Away from the heyday, Plant never sings a high note in that song. He changes the way the entire chorus is sung (the "Many times I've loved," "Mellow is the man," etc. parts). I heard his new album, and he may have deteriorated a little, but I think over all it's still superb and very similar to what it used to be.

Which only backs my post. If he never sung the high notes in the band's heyday, that means that the studio version contained a lot of multi-tracking that could not be duplicated live (not that there is anything wrong with that, its commonplace in recording to multi-track vocals).

FWIW, I think Plant will do a very serviceable job if Zep reunites.

Guest markotsay7

Yeah Don, I was completely backing your posts. No way that could ever be replicated in concert in 1970, let alone now. Still would be an incredible show.

Guest Juanky

As long as Page still has it and Baby Bonham plays like his father, all Plant has to do is not crack on the microphone and not sing with his ass.