Senate Majority Leader says Marlins issue is "dead"

I hadn't seen this posted anywhere, so here you go. If it has, feel free to move this post to wherever it was posted. This is not encouraging to say the least

Legislature: Day 44 at a glance

Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Florida Marlins' attempt to get tens of millions of dollars in a second state subsidy for a new baseball stadium may have to wait yet another year, with Senate Majority Leader Daniel Webster announcing: "I think it's a dead issue."

He noted that the Marlins' supporters latest proposal ? a one-time, $100 million payment to be shared by the venues hosting the Marlins, the Orlando Magic basketball team and the Tampa Bay Lightning hockey team ? was taken up but then postponed in a Senate committee this week.

"I don't expect it'll be back up," Webster said

The total dollar figure would be a tough sell in a tight budget year, he said.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...grail_0419.html

I hadn't seen this posted anywhere, so here you go. If it has, feel free to move this post to wherever it was posted. This is not encouraging to say the least

Legislature: Day 44 at a glance

Thursday, April 19, 2007

The Florida Marlins' attempt to get tens of millions of dollars in a second state subsidy for a new baseball stadium may have to wait yet another year, with Senate Majority Leader Daniel Webster announcing: "I think it's a dead issue."

He noted that the Marlins' supporters latest proposal ? a one-time, $100 million payment to be shared by the venues hosting the Marlins, the Orlando Magic basketball team and the Tampa Bay Lightning hockey team ? was taken up but then postponed in a Senate committee this week.

"I don't expect it'll be back up," Webster said

The total dollar figure would be a tough sell in a tight budget year, he said.

http://www.palmbeachpost.com/marlins/conte...grail_0419.html

This would have been nice but isn't what we started out to get, we still want the rebate. What is the status of that issue.

What you say makes no sense. The problem is not Dade, but it is the state that is the problem. Wherever they go in the state they will still have the same problem. So why would they leave the county that is offering the most money? Dade is offering a lot more than at least any other county in South Florida. I'm sorry, but what that person you talked to told you just makes no sense. However, it would make sense if he stated they were looking to leave the state if it failed again this year.