AirTran X-Fares/AirTranU

CTMarlinsfan

Ok, so I know this isn't an airline fansite or anything...but I was wondering if anyone knows about the AirTranU program (formerly X-Fares) designed for cheap tickets for college students. Apperently, You go to the counter and for $69 (89 on long haul) get a standby pass and you're put on the next available flight.

I'm thinking about doing this to go to Atlanta for a Marlins game on June 5. Has anyone done this before? What if there is no room on the last flight of the day? I am interning Tuesday and Thursday if I go, so I have to make the flight.

I fly standby 99% of the time, and with standby you get on the flight the vast majority of times. However, in this case Atlanta is the hub of AirTran, so I'd predict it'll be rather difficult to fly standby into Atlanta, but on the return trip there shouldn't be a problem.

the game is on a low travel day of wednesday...

but is it worth getting to the airport at 4am for a 1pm game?

I fly standby 99% of the time, and with standby you get on the flight the vast majority of times. However, in this case Atlanta is the hub of AirTran, so I'd predict it'll be rather difficult to fly standby into Atlanta, but on the return trip there shouldn't be a problem.

how much is it to just buy a ticket and not show up at 4am? Is it 69 total or each way?

I know southwest and jetblue have some cheap fares.

how much is it to just buy a ticket and not show up at 4am? Is it 69 total or each way?

I know southwest and jetblue have some cheap fares.

$69 e/w to standby vs $119 e/w to buy it