Software got Bonds into the ASG

Guest Festa

Guest Festa

I knew it was nearly impossible for someone as hated as him to get that many votes in that short amount of time.

Bonds Votes for All-Star Game May Have Been Rigged

Written by Maury Brown

Saturday, 07 July 2007

Maury Brown

Barry Bonds may have had his All-Star vote count juiced, allowing him to surpass Alfonso Soriano in the closing days of voting for the upcoming All-Star Game.

That's the word being circulated just a few days before the event.

Reportedly, the method for the juiced records came by way of an automated recursive script posted on a Giants message board.

As the All-Star Game announcement states, "Bonds overtook Alfonso Soriano (2,202,513) of the Chicago Cubs in the final phase of balloting."

Bonds, by the way, had 2,325,391 total votes.

The difference between Bonds and Soriano wound up being 122,878. Getting that many fake votes -- and more -- would be a piece of cake to simulate. As someone who does consulting as a software test engineer, I have run scripts that have generated far more records than that.

It's not something wiz-bang. It's that the system allowed for such a sophomoric act to occur.

Read the rest here

Guest Festa

Eh, it doesn't matter anyway. It's all BS in the end.

How's it any different than people here going to the ballpark and punching through 100 ballots at once?

It isn't.

But it explains a lot.

That said, get rid of the fan voting if you are going to have this game mean something or get rid of the game meaning something if you are going to have fan voting. Can't have both.

My thoughts exactly... the game is a bit of a joke at this point

Bonds > Soriano anyways.

That said, get rid of the fan voting if you are going to have this game mean something or get rid of the game meaning something if you are going to have fan voting. Can't have both.

I completely agree. It is either an exhibition game or it's not. To try to have it both ways is ridiculous and a knee-jerk reaction to the infamous tie game.