Berardino's Column

Out of the Past

Berardino and Jim Callis (executive editor of Baseball America) feel we could have gotten more had we traded Miguel and DTrain separately. Berardino also feels we should have waited on DTrain to see if he could build-up his trading value under Wiley.

I wonder what is was the Dodgers were willing to give-up for Miguel. We know they wouldn't give-up 4 players but which 3 or which 2 were they willing to give-up? Also, last summer they were willing to give-up Billingsley, Kemp and Loney for Miguel but Beinfest said no. I would rather have those 3 guys than the 6 guys we got from the Tigers for Miguel and DTrain.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/basebal...91,print.column

Marlins stars may have brought more in separate trades

Two stars may have have netted more separately

Mike Berardino

Sports columnist

December 6, 2007

One-stop shopping is a wonderful concept in most areas of life.

Who among us doesn't appreciate the ability to cash a check, buy groceries and have our eyes tested all under one roof?

How sweet it is to be able to fill your gas tank, grab a 50-ounce soda and get your dry cleaning done at the same roadside convenience store.

Too bad the same doesn't apply to baseball wheeling-and-dealing.

The saddest aspect of this latest Marlins trade isn't so much that they parted with Dontrelle Willis along with longtime running mate Miguel Cabrera. Willis, purely due to economics, probably had no more than another half season left in his distinguished Marlins career.

Rather, it's that they decided to toss Willis into the same deal with Cabrera, delivering them both to the Detroit Tigers' doorstep like some sort of holiday care package.

(Hey, honey, check out this cheese wheel your parents sent! And wait, what's this? We got a box of pears, too!)

Sure, the Marlins came away with six cheap replacements, raiding what remained of the Tigers' gutted farm system. And it's entirely possible that young center fielder Cameron Maybin and kid lefty Andrew Miller will blossom into Marlins All-Stars in due time.

But considering how much time and effort the Marlins spent over the past three weeks attempting to deal Cabrera ? and Cabrera alone ? the combo move was a stunner.

And, in a rarity for this Marlins administration, not particularly wise.

There's a huge gap between those two showpieces the Marlins got and the other four guys in this trade. In fact, the gap is so large, Admin Beinfest would have been better off had he dealt Cabrera to the Angels for one discussed package that included future batting champion Howie Kendrick, young catcher Jeff Mathis, pitching prospect Nick Adenhart and scrappy center fielder Reggie Willits.

That would have given the Marlins and rehired pitching coach Mark Wiley another eight months to rebuild Willis' value.

Better still, it would have bought them more time to see if a new stadium package could be pushed through in time to save Willis from the trading block. Maybe at that point they might have even found the courage to push a multiyear offer across the table toward the most popular player in franchise history.

"I always felt like the Marlins couldn't get rid of Dontrelle while they were having the stadium debate," baseball economist Vince Gennaro, an Indians consultant, said recently. "It would weaken their case dramatically. At minimum he needed to stay around, I don't think it's fair to say as window dressing, but in terms of, 'Here's a commitment level to spend.'"

Commitment? How about a $15 million payroll for the second time in three years? Does that qualify?

Didn't think so.

By tossing Willis into the same deal now, not only were the Marlins selling low on a former 22-game winner, but they also limited their options severely.

Quite simply, there aren't any franchises out there ? Marlins aside ? with enough cheap young talent to offset the staggering value of two proven championship commodities still in their mid-20s.

Just to be sure I wasn't crazy, I called Jim Callis, the executive editor of Baseball America. Nobody knows more about prospects and farm systems, and that goes for people working in the game as well.

"If you traded those two guys separately, you could have gotten more," Callis said. "You split 'em, like blackjack. It's like the Marlins had a pair of 10s and the dealer had a six and they just stuck instead of splitting."

Granted, things apparently turned toxic with the Angels at some point last week. It's never a good sign when one team's owner (Arte Moreno) goes public with his frustrations in dealing with another club, and it's even worse when he claims they keep trying to weasel an extra player out of the deal.

But there were still plenty of other places Cabrera could have landed (Dodgers, White Sox, Rangers) while still keeping Willis around, both for future discussions and psychological reasons.

Instead, the Marlins went one-stop shopping with their $20 million tag team as bait.

Doesn't exactly call for one of those Wal-Mart smiley face stickers, does it?

Kendrick/Adenhart/Willits/Mathis is horrible. HORRIBLE. It was not the better move. Miller/Maybin are better than any player in that deal and there is pretty much no way trading Dontrelle independently would have made up the gap in quality. Maybe you would have made up a better 5th or 6th player in the deal but you take QUALITY at the top when it comes down to it. The Dodgers were not willing to part with their players. And there is no guarantee Dontrelle would improve in the first place where he would have netted 'Adam Jones' talent.

Horrible article. And I'm not being a homer. Miller/Maybin are just that much more important than any of this crap. Don't think I'm not upset about losing Cabrera - but they got what they needed and it could have been a lot worse.

Colletti is in love with his prospects and has been very stingy with them (though they want to unload Kemp who caused clubhouse problems last year). Reports were he told the Orioles Broxton was untouchable! We wanted a top pitching prospect in return and I don't think Colletti was willing to package Kershaw with any other top player. I am not going to fret over the Dodgers because if there had been a good package on the table, I'm sure Beinfest would have taken it.

I do not put much stock in what outside observers think we could have gotten for them separately. I'm sure the Marlins FO explored all options. The deal on the table from the Angels for Cabrera alone wasn't that great. And there are concerns about Willis that extend beyond just one down year. Yeah, we could have gone one more year with Willis and hoped that he improved his value, but what if he only ended up improving only marginally or, God forbid, did just as poorly or worse. I think the FO really wanted the Miller-Maybin combo and adding Willis was what it took to get them. Based on their evaluation of Willis, his time left under contract and their appraisal of the Tigers' prospects, they felt it was worth it.

Kendrick/Adenhart/Willits/Mathis is horrible. HORRIBLE. It was not the better move. Miller/Maybin are better than any player in that deal and there is pretty much no way trading Dontrelle independently would have made up the gap in quality. Maybe you would have made up a better 5th or 6th player in the deal but you take QUALITY at the top when it comes down to it. The Dodgers were not willing to part with their players. And there is no guarantee Dontrelle would improve in the first place where he would have netted 'Adam Jones' talent.

Horrible article. And I'm not being a homer. Miller/Maybin are just that much more important than any of this crap. Don't think I'm not upset about losing Cabrera - but they got what they needed and it could have been a lot worse.

You about covered it.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.