Military finds Iraqi Torture Complex

UCFMarlinFan

http://www.cnn.com/2007/WORLD/meast/12/19/...html#cnnSTCText

BAGHDAD, Iraq (CNN) -- Coalition forces found 26 bodies buried in mass graves and a bloodstained "torture complex" with chains hanging from walls and ceilings and a bed connected to an electrical system, the military said Wednesday.

The troops were conducting an operation north of Muqdadiya, Iraq, when they made the discovery.

From December 8-11, the troops who found the complex also killed 24 people they said were terrorists and detained 37 suspects, according to a statement issued by Multinational Division North at Camp Speicher in Tikrit.

The moves were part of an operation called Iron Reaper that has been in progress across northern Iraq for the past few weeks.

The complex was in an area thought to be an al Qaeda in Iraq safe haven and operating base, the military said. Iraqis had told the military about the site during an earlier operation.

"Evidence of murder, torture and intimidation against local villagers was found throughout the area," the military statement said.

Ground forces first found what appeared to be a detention facility. As they cleared the area, they found several bodies.

Eventually, 26 bodies were uncovered in mass graves next to what were thought to be execution sites, the military said.

The detention facility was one of three connected to the torture complex, Multinational Division North said. One of the facilities appeared to have served as a headquarters building and a torture facility, it added.

Photos given to the news media show a filthy bed wired to an electrical system, with an outlet hanging from wires on the wall. Other photos show an entrance to the underground bunker and barbed wire stretched outside it.

The operation netted nine weapons caches, which have been destroyed, the military said. They included anti-aircraft weapons, sniper rifles, more than 65 machine guns and pistols, 50 grenades and a surface-to-air missile launcher and platform, the statement said.

Also found were mines, pipe bombs, rocket-propelled grenades, mortar tubes and rounds and 130 pounds of homemade explosives.

It really scares me to think how many other tortue complexes there are throughout iraqi villages. These people were living in TRUE fear. How f***ing gay is that?

When the US does that, it's called "harsh interrogation".

I'm not sure where that came from... cuz it's not what this article is about at all.

This article is describing the harsh living conditions for these everyday Iraqi villagers, living in fear from a local al-qaeda outpost, i'm assuming established by Hussein or whatever fine upstanding leader they had at the time when these torture complexes were established.

Whereas when the US "harshly interrogates" someone it is in the nature of our national security. They are truly completely seperate in my opinion - on one hand you have citizens being bullied and intimidated and on the other you have suspected terrorists being purged for information.

When the US does that, it's called "harsh interrogation".

I'm not sure where that came from... cuz it's not what this article is about at all.

This article is describing the harsh living conditions for these everyday Iraqi villagers, living in fear from a local al-qaeda outpost, i'm assuming established by Hussein or whatever fine upstanding leader they had at the time when these torture complexes were established.

Whereas when the US "harshly interrogates" someone it is in the nature of our national security. They are truly completely seperate in my opinion - on one hand you have citizens being bullied and intimidated and on the other you have suspected terrorists being purged for information.

There's no excuse for torture, period. I don't care what the reasons are.

There's no excuse for torture, period. I don't care what the reasons are.

Right, I agree. I think everyone in the entire world would agree with that... minus a few masochistic motherf***ers. But, take the blinders off, and realize there IS a difference between the two types of torture. There is, in some cases, the need to torture information out of people. Haven't you ever seen 24?!?! I'm kidding. But, you can't really be that ignorant... can you?

I look at this bit of news as good news. Because it is shows the kind of poor living environment these Iraqi people really were living in, and that we are helping them. This is good news on the war front people. Accept it. We may have been tricked into Iraq under false pretenses, but that happened a long time ago. It's time to support the war, and be glad when we hear stuff like this. Not condone the US for torturing suspected terrrists.... I mean, how the hell did THAT even enter your mind after reading this article? Good job soldier boys.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.