Marlins EYE Zach McClellan

The_Punisher

It must be a really slow news day for this to make it to the board. This should probably go in the minor league forum.

I don't think anyone cares. The Marlins are going to sign 20-30 minor league free agents and invite random guys to Spring training that no one has ever heard of just to fill spots in the minor league ranks and for bodies for spring training split squads. If we're lucky, a few of those guys may be named "Trot Nixon, "Morgan Ensberg," "Jose Capellan," or "Sergio Santos," who may be relevant but it's pretty doubtful anyone who you've heard of turns into anything special from these signings. Lee Gardner's 2007 was a once in a two decade gift. If this guy is one of them, cool. Good luck at making it to the majors. I don't know why any career minor league pitcher would sign with us though, given any other option of course, because our minor league pitching depth is pretty insane at the moment. If I was a pitcher, I'd try and sign with San Francisco (like what Justin Miller smartly did) or somewhere else where you could legitimately win a bullpen spot if you throw 15 good innings in March.

It must be a really slow news day for this to make it to the board. This should probably go in the minor league forum.

I don't think anyone cares. The Marlins are going to sign 20-30 minor league free agents and invite random guys to Spring training that no one has ever heard of just to fill spots in the minor league ranks and for bodies for spring training split squads. If we're lucky, a few of those guys may be named "Trot Nixon, "Morgan Ensberg," "Jose Capellan," or "Sergio Santos," who may be relevant but it's pretty doubtful anyone who you've heard of turns into anything special from these signings. Lee Gardner's 2007 was a once in a two decade gift. If this guy is one of them, cool. Good luck at making it to the majors. I don't know why any career minor league pitcher would sign with us though, given any other option of course, because our minor league pitching depth is pretty insane at the moment. If I was a pitcher, I'd try and sign with San Francisco (like what Justin Miller smartly did) or somewhere else where you could legitimately win a bullpen spot if you throw 15 good innings in March.

I believe we repeated Lee Gardner this year with Joe Nelson. Also Justin Miller last year. And Doug Waechter. We've done a lot of good with minor FAs and its what smart teams do. The big names aren't the ones we are going to be looking for.

I believe we repeated Lee Gardner this year with Joe Nelson. Also Justin Miller last year. And Doug Waechter. We've done a lot of good with minor FAs and its what smart teams do. The big names aren't the ones we are going to be looking for.

Sure, but they have pitched in the bigs before, McClellan has not, and we had more bullpen openings which we don't have no with literally 20 kids in AAA/AA with big arms. You're right, but I was referring to a different class of players. Just worded it wrong I guess.

He also could have been picked up to fill a need at some other level in the system or more probably doing acting on a hunch by a scout, a favor for an agent, etc. Every year the non-prospect career minor league pitchers change underwear, especially in AAA.

I'd be really really surprised if this is anything more than that.

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.