Skip to content
View in the app

A better way to browse. Learn more.

MarlinsBaseball.com

A full-screen app on your home screen with push notifications, badges and more.

To install this app on iOS and iPadOS
  1. Tap the Share icon in Safari
  2. Scroll the menu and tap Add to Home Screen.
  3. Tap Add in the top-right corner.
To install this app on Android
  1. Tap the 3-dot menu (⋮) in the top-right corner of the browser.
  2. Tap Add to Home screen or Install app.
  3. Confirm by tapping Install.

Mark Prior to Audition for MLB teams

Featured Replies

It's been four years since Mark Prior threw a pitch in the major leagues, but he hopes to play at the highest level once again, according to Tracy Ringolsby of FOX Sports. Prior will work out at USC on Wednesday, when "most major league teams are expected to have a scout in attendance." Prior, still just 29, signed with the Padres last year, but didn't appear in a game and was handed his release a few months later.

 

Prior put together a college pitching career that few pitchers before (Ben McDonald) or since (Stephen Strasburg) have matched. Drafted second overall behind Joe Mauer in the 2001 draft, he soon became a key member of the Cubs' rotation. Prior pitched to a 2.43 ERA in 211.1 innings as a 22-year-old in 2003 before shoulder problems derailed his career.

 

 

 

I can't believe he's still so young!!! I'd thought he'd be in his like mid 30's by now.

 

It's seem like forever when he was a young gun on the Cubs winning 18 games in 2003 but injuries have haunted him since.

 

I feel he can still be somewhat valuable if he can command his offspeed pitches well and still hit lower 90's on the radar but he most likely won't hit higher then 91, 92 with the repeated shoulder injuries. I'm hoping he can one day pitch again in the league at least out of the bullpen and be somewhat effective.

I hope he can somehow regain his former ability, but I wouldn't bet on it. At best he could probably be a decent relief man.

I actually hope he can snag a roster spot somewhere....it's always a shame when a pitchers with his kind of stuff goes down with serious injuries. And if he shows something of high caliber pitches then a team should take a chance on him.

  • Author

Prior stated that after his workout one team wants to sign him. He reportedly did hit the magic number of 90 MPH.

 

Good for him I hope he can make it back to the bigs in at least a Bullpen role, hey I wouldn't mind the Marlins being that one team but it probably isn't.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

Account

Navigation

Search

Search

Configure browser push notifications

Chrome (Android)
  1. Tap the lock icon next to the address bar.
  2. Tap Permissions → Notifications.
  3. Adjust your preference.
Chrome (Desktop)
  1. Click the padlock icon in the address bar.
  2. Select Site settings.
  3. Find Notifications and adjust your preference.