Austen Smith

Hammerhead

Austen Smith is 23 years old in Greensboro. There is no "what a fully developed Smith and Stanton could do" because best case scenario Austen Smith is like four years away, and more likely he's just a minor league guy having a good year in a hitter's paradise.

Ok let me be more fair. He's playing well for a former 33rd round pick. Didn't notice him until now and he's an interesting guy to follow. But literally no hitting prospect is worth even talking about the majors in any kind of future tense until they prove they can hit in Jupiter. For f*ck's sakes Stanton himself struggled early on in Jupiter. I can't stress enough just how many guys succeed in Greensboro and fall off a cliff when going up to high A ball.

The power's ok. He's not slugging .500 and his HR numbers aren't off the charts so lets not call him any kind of next great power hitter. He's an ok prospect worth following for the time being like a bunch of other alright prospects the Marlins system sadly occupies in its current state.

Well the rule of thumb is that you're a prospect worth following until you pass the age of 25. If he doesn't have potential to be a major leaguer until he's 27, it's not as much a prospect as it is a project. I'm fine following him and thank you for mentioning him as I really didn't know he was performing decently, but lets keep expectations tempered. He's really nothing more than a long long shot at this point with no more a chance of reaching the majors as guys like Justin Twine, Brian Schales, KJ Woods and Arturo Rodriguez.

this guy is not a prospect at all.  At 23 in greensboro he needs to be doing 2x as well as he is right now to be a possible part of the marlins future.  I could destroy middle school pitching right now, I'm also a senior in college.  Its not a fair comparison.  

KJ Woods is the prospect to watch in Greensboro.

this guy is not a prospect at all.  At 23 in greensboro he needs to be doing 2x as well as he is right now to be a possible part of the marlins future.  I could destroy middle school pitching right now, I'm also a senior in college.  Its not a fair comparison.  

KJ Woods is the prospect to watch in Greensboro.

​Nice catch on KJ. Haven't heard that name bfore. 

I've been touting KJ Woods name since last year. I remember watching some BP youtube videos and saying how he's got the physical stature of Stanton and a really really smooth swing. I expected him to be more power than contact this year, so it's interesting to see that your expectations can change over time. I always find players to fall for each year, with Canha/Barnes/Wallach/Romero/Holmes being a few in the last year or so. Some are right, some are wrong. Nature of the business. But Woods is definitely near if not at the top of that list for me this year.

Well the rule of thumb is that you're a prospect worth following until you pass the age of 25. If he doesn't have potential to be a major leaguer until he's 27, it's not as much a prospect as it is a project. I'm fine following him and thank you for mentioning him as I really didn't know he was performing decently, but lets keep expectations tempered. He's really nothing more than a long long shot at this point with no more a chance of reaching the majors as guys like Justin Twine, Brian Schales, KJ Woods and Arturo Rodriguez.

Oh sure he is a long shot. Not saying he is a sure thing at all. But if that power sticks with him, he can be here by 26/26. Yeah out of technical prospect status but he went to college. Dude is beastly when he gets a hold of the ball. Will he be Stanton? Very likely not. But he could be a solid two way player if he continues to improve.

The other names mentioned are all right. Woods, Rodriguez,  and the name I didn't see mentioned, Soto are all the top dogs. But Smith is worth keeping an eye on.