Ambercrombie & Fitch

There was a big show on 60 minutes with this brand of clothes being a racist company. That they dont have any black people in their photos and as sales assistants. They also mostly have blond hair blue eyed employees and the minorities just stick to stock and night work.

Also they had a shirt that said "two wongs dont make a white" and they were getting sued left and right by asians.

and coorperate workers come in randomly to their stores and tell managers to fire whoever doesnt look "all american" (blonde hair, blue eye).

this company is freakin racist and i noticed it before that ambercrombie n fitch is just for crackas but damn i didnt know it was this bad. good thing i always knew they were shallow. and i thought fubu was bad...

i buy the "looks discrimination" argument against them, although i don't really have a problem with it. i'd expect a hip store like AF to want the most attractive kids working for them.

they definitely do have black people in their catalog photos, so i'm not so sure where you got that from... although yes, the models are predominantly white.

as far as racial discrimination in hiring goes, i don't buy it at all. i've seen tons of minorities working at AF stores, so as far as i'm concerned, it's not even a problem. AF corporate released figures of what percentage of their employees are black to 60 minutes (i think it was around 20%) and that figure was above national average compared to other similar department stores. 60 minutes countered with something dubious to the effect of: "we have no way of independently verifying if abercrombie & fitch's figures are actually accurate."

even if there were a very small number of blacks working at their stores, i'd be more apt to call this a product of their applicant pool rather than discrimination. remember that most of the kids who apply to AF want to work there so they can buy AF clothes at a discount. AF clothes are definitely more on the white, preppy side, so i would naturally expect a disproportionately high number of white applicants as opposed to black applicants.

i agree that they probably try to get the best looking people to work sales, but IMO the racism argument is baseless. the asian girl who was crying foul (who was probably fired for something) definitely seemed like she was trying to exaggerate the race issue, and 60 minutes predictably catered to her hot air. and just because a black girl (who, btw, was new to the job) was asked to clean windows instead of fold clothes doesn't mean AF is racist.

the only objective info in that piece came from the ex-managers who spoke about how more attractive workers are given hours while less attractive workers are not. it's unfortunate and discriminatory, but in my opinion, it should be the department store's prerogative to schedule salespeople who typify the clothing line.

but other than that, i thought 60 minutes really did a hatchet job on AF by attempting to open up the whole race can of worms... race is probably the easiest way to ignite people and sell a news piece of that sort, and i'm a little miffed that they mentioned race without providing much substance. that part didn't really wash with me.

i'd expect a hip store like AF to want the most attractive kids working for them.

so you're saying only "blue eyed blondes" are the most attractive kids?

I know that you probably didn't mean it like that but that's what it sounds like

and if you mean "working for them" as in working at the stores, selling their clothes....so if there was 2 people going for the job and one was more attractive looking than the other but the other one was a better employee...you'd pick the looks?!?! :blink:

i'd expect a hip store like AF to want the most attractive kids working for them.

they definitely do have black people in their catalog photos, so i'm not so sure where you got that from... although yes, the models are predominantly white.

as far as racial discrimination in hiring goes, i don't buy it at all. i've seen tons of minorities working at AF stores, so as far as i'm concerned, it's not even a problem. AF corporate released figures of what percentage of their employees are black to 60 minutes (i think it was around 20%) and that figure was above national average compared to other similar department stores. 60 minutes countered with something dubious to the effect of: "we have no way of independently verifying if abercrombie & fitch's figures are actually accurate."

even if there were a very small number of blacks working at their stores, i'd be more apt to call this a product of their applicant pool rather than discrimination. remember that most of the kids who apply to AF want to work there so they can buy AF clothes at a discount. AF clothes are definitely more on the white, preppy side, so i would naturally expect a disproportionately high number of white applicants as opposed to black applicants.

i agree that they probably try to get the best looking people to work sales, but IMO the racism argument is baseless. the asian girl who was crying foul (who was probably fired for something) definitely seemed like she was trying to exaggerate the race issue, and 60 minutes predictably catered to her hot air. and just because a black girl (who, btw, was new to the job) was asked to clean windows instead of fold clothes doesn't mean AF is racist.

the only objective info in that piece came from the ex-managers who spoke about how more attractive workers are given hours while less attractive workers are not. it's unfortunate and discriminatory, but in my opinion, it should be the department store's prerogative to schedule salespeople who typify the clothing line.

but other than that, i thought 60 minutes really did a hatchet job on AF by attempting to open up the whole race can of worms... race is probably the easiest way to ignite people and sell a news piece of that sort, and i'm a little miffed that they mentioned race without providing much substance. that part didn't really wash with me.

attractive is one thing.. but theyre main focus is BLOND HAIR "all american look". Im sure there are attractive african americans, hispanic and asian young people, but they dont want that. They want a white, blond or dirty blond good looking person working for them on the SALES floor.

i've seen tons of minorities working at AF stores, so as far as i'm concerned, it's not even a problem.

Most of their minority workers were in the back, like with stock, trash dumping, and cleaning... their sales a**. are mostly white. And from the stores of AF i see, i cant disagree.

but IMO the racism argument is baseless.

two wongs dont make a white? youre saying thats not racist? youre saying all those former managers they interviewed were lying when they said that coorperate workers used to come in and say to lay off the asian workers and put them to another detail besides the up front stuff?