Marlins 2018 Prediction

ddevonb

I'm not a Marlins fan but have been a baseball fan for over 50 years, so I'm going to make a prediction for the near future. I think, with the new ownership the problem was ultimately big multi-year deals make it hard to rebuild. I think the Marlins will spend more money in 2018 that it looks like the will right now. I say this because they see opportunities that exist in the current free agent market. Because the market has been so slow, there will be a large number of players who will be willing to sign for a one year reasonable deal. These are not stars, but some are very good players and one year deals would make them perfect stop gaps between now and the young prospects being ready. This will allow them to better than they might seem right now, but those players are gone in a year giving the Marlins payroll and roster flexibility for 2019. These are also the kind of players that can return a good prospect or two at the deadline.

The Cubs signed player like this that helped during the rebuild and traded many at the deadline so that the rebuild would be better and faster. The economics of baseball will never allow the Marlins to be the highest bidder for talent, so they need to (like the Cubs) invest more money and manpower in scouting both international and domestic and in development of young players. Every year there are players that fall through the cracks and get drafted much lower and for much less money than they should have. There are spending limits on the draft and international signings but MLB does not limit spending for scouting and development. The same $5 million another team might spend for a player will get more results if spent for scouting and development, if it is spent properly.

If the Marlins do it right, they won't have to break the bank to compete and being about to compete for a significant number of years will build the attendance and TV audience that brings in the money. 

For now, I would encourage Marlins fans to go to games to show ownership that the potential for strong attendance is there... even if it means buying the half price specials and other cheap seats.

Get some friends to together. Baseball is a great social outing with friends.

I'm a Cubs fan who lived in Denver for 9 years. Even those I was a Cubs fan, I instigated many outings to Coor's Field with my friends. If I'm ever in Miami, I'll show up for the game. I now live in a small village in Wisconsin, but if I travel to a MLB city during the season and there's a game... I'm going.

If you live in Miami, take advantage of the fact that you live in a major league city and have the change to regularly experience games much more often than many others do. 

I'm not a Marlins fan but have been a baseball fan for over 50 years, so I'm going to make a prediction for the near future. I think, with the new ownership the problem was ultimately big multi-year deals make it hard to rebuild. I think the Marlins will spend more money in 2018 that it looks like the will right now. I say this because they see opportunities that exist in the current free agent market. Because the market has been so slow, there will be a large number of players who will be willing to sign for a one year reasonable deal. These are not stars, but some are very good players and one year deals would make them perfect stop gaps between now and the young prospects being ready. This will allow them to better than they might seem right now, but those players are gone in a year giving the Marlins payroll and roster flexibility for 2019. These are also the kind of players that can return a good prospect or two at the deadline.

The Cubs signed player like this that helped during the rebuild and traded many at the deadline so that the rebuild would be better and faster. The economics of baseball will never allow the Marlins to be the highest bidder for talent, so they need to (like the Cubs) invest more money and manpower in scouting both international and domestic and in development of young players. Every year there are players that fall through the cracks and get drafted much lower and for much less money than they should have. There are spending limits on the draft and international signings but MLB does not limit spending for scouting and development. The same $5 million another team might spend for a player will get more results if spent for scouting and development, if it is spent properly.

If the Marlins do it right, they won't have to break the bank to compete and being about to compete for a significant number of years will build the attendance and TV audience that brings in the money. 

For now, I would encourage Marlins fans to go to games to show ownership that the potential for strong attendance is there... even if it means buying the half price specials and other cheap seats.

Get some friends to together. Baseball is a great social outing with friends.

I'm a Cubs fan who lived in Denver for 9 years. Even those I was a Cubs fan, I instigated many outings to Coor's Field with my friends. If I'm ever in Miami, I'll show up for the game. I now live in a small village in Wisconsin, but if I travel to a MLB city during the season and there's a game... I'm going.

If you live in Miami, take advantage of the fact that you live in a major league city and have the change to regularly experience games much more often than many others do. 

Welcome to the boards... or as some call it.. the blog.