Benitez pumped after 1st appearance

Good stuff from Benitez. Allowed a hit & struck out 2 in an inning. Also had to pitch with the bases loaded after Alex committed an error. As always, it's only spring training, but good news nonetheless.

by Juan Rodriguez, Sun-Sentinel

JUPITER ? Maybe it was the emotion of making his first appearance for a new team. Maybe it was getting through a one-out, bases-loaded situation unscathed.

Maybe it was plain old adrenaline.

Whatever the combination of causes, closer Armando Benitez punctuated his Marlins Grapefruit League debut Monday with a quick fist pump, striking out Expos shortstop Josh Labandeira to cap his initial outing.

"It happens to all the players," Benitez said. "You get to a new team and the majority want to impress. The most important thing is they've told me they know who I am and what I can do. They want me to work on location -- outside, inside, up, down. That's what I tried to do today and I did it."

He did it in relief of starter Josh Beckett, who allowed two hits and struck out two over four scoreless innings as part of the 8-1 Marlins win. During Beckett's 57-pitch outing, the Expos managed a pair of two-out singles, neither of which was hit particularly well.

Benitez pitched a scoreless sixth despite the Expos putting runners on first and second with no outs due in part to an Alex Gonzalez error at short. After striking out Termel Sledge for the first out, Benitez benefited from a nice Ramon Castro catch just in front of the Marlins' dugout.

"You can be ready with few innings, few games," Benitez said. "It all depends how you work. I have a workout system that's strenuous. If I have to throw 10 games, I'll ask for them. If I only have to throw five, I'll throw five and be ready. They understand. They tell me you're the one who knows your body."

Benitez pitched a scoreless sixth despite the Expos putting runners on first and second with no outs due in part to an Alex Gonzalez error at short. After striking out Termel Sledge for the first out, Benitez benefited from a nice Ramon Castro catch just in front of the Marlins' dugout.

:thumbup