Everything posted by cobaincola
-
JD Drew
Last season was his sole good season, and sole healthy one in a long time. He is entering his prime though so he stays healthy he will most likely sustain the numbers he put up last season. The Braves didn't offer him arbi because that would have met giving him 10 million next season, they didn't feel he was worth that kind of risk. With Glaus getting about that much for 4 years, I can see Drew getting something like 9 - 10 for 3 or 4 years. With our payroll set at 60 million for next season, I don't think it's feasible especially since Encarnacion probably isn't tradeable until he shows that he can recover successfully from his surgery. He wasn't worth much even after his 2003 season.
-
Jermaine Dye to White Sox
Not a bad signing at all if he remains healthy.
-
This Year In Baseball awards as voted by the fans
Voted for Luis like 50 today, probably add another 50 tommorrow. One could make a computer program to do this if they had time.
-
leiter's deal specifics
I'm not saying it's a make or break deal; the idiots on this board who think Al Leiter is going to make your team a WS contender are. I just found it a bit hypocritical you're potentially could sink upwards of 8 Mil into Al Leiter when the same amount could get you Carl Pavano resigned. As for the Mando comments; I've said a million times, Mando was in his prime years still while Al Leiter is a 40 year old injured player. 630513[/snapback] That's the problem with the Mets Front Office and their fans...they lack intelligence. You do realize that not every team in the Major Legues can afford to make contract mistake after contract mistake and compete. Pavano's contract and Leiter's contract AREN'T COMPARABLE. Leiter is old yes, but his contract is for ONE YEAR. That's the difference between the Marlins' FO and that of the Mets, they are immensely more intelligent, and by your posts it's possible it has a trickle down effect on the fans as well. An 8 million dollar contract for one year won't get Pavano to resign, there would be alot of money tied into a player that has had one good-great season in the league. Leiter is serving more like a buffer between now and when the younger pitchers in the system are ready to contribute. You can think of it like this: Leiter 8 million this season and the next 3 seasons a young pitcher, the Fish would probably end up spending on average like 2.5 million for four seasons for a pitcher in their rotation as oppose to the 10 - 11 million Pavano is looking for, for four seasons. Think about it a little. Then there are teams that can afford to mess up on a daily basis and still not compete...Now that takes some skill: Zambrano, Vaughn, Cedeno, Alomar, Burnitz, Floyd, Glavine So about you eating that hat...
-
leiter's deal specifics
I'm real bitter Al Leiter is gone. Excuse me while I go cry some more. 630461[/snapback] Can't blame you. Leiter is a classy guy, and great to have around the club house. 630464[/snapback] You guys are really going to be surprised. 630466[/snapback] Umm...he's played with the Fish before. The signing makes all the sense in the world, just like the Benitez signing you probably thought that the Marlins were going to get screwed on. How many times in the last few years has the Mets organization: front office, fans, players failed to disappoint in any capacity?
-
Garciaparra to stay with Cubs
Nomar had a 4 year 60M offer on the table from the Red Sox last year. Smart move Garcialiar.? :thumbdown 629347[/snapback] If I were a Boston fan I'd be laughing and pointing with the finger that has the WS ring on. 629651[/snapback] Why because you're classless? Most true Sox fans were sad to see the guy go, he was treated horribly by the Boston media during the end of his stint but he just played. He is a hard-worker with injury problems, but a class act.
-
Heisman Predictions
I think Leinhart will win it You can't place White ahead of Peterson, Peterson won't win though because he's a rookie, Bush doesn't get the credit Leinhart does and Smith well he is the QB for Utah... Leinhart Peterson Bush White Smith
-
pavano, could decide his fate within the
Looks like our offense isn't going to get the needed jolt it needs, but atleast Beinfest will look into fixing other weaknesses like our bullpen that can become a strength fairly cheaply.
-
Alfonseca, Leiter agree to deals
Well, I thought Bump looked very good after he got called up from AAA in July. Bump after he got called up in July (taking away those 2 starts): 32.2 IP, 2.24 ERA, 1.28 WHIP 630074[/snapback] He did look good after he called up and if you take away the starts but he wasn't particularly good the season before (4.71 ERA) and he looked good awful many times during the season. He's at best a question mark right now, if there are some cheap alternatives out there we should probably aim that way. If Bump does pan out then we have a great pen and inexpensive at that, if he doesn't we still have a solid and inexpensive pen. Doesn't make too much sense to gamble too much, when you can get a solid backup plan for fairly cheapl
-
Braves decline arbitration to Drew
How much do you think Drew would cost? 630104[/snapback] I think he'd go for something like 9 million for 3 or 4 seasons. Considering Beltran, Ordonez, and Delgado have signed anywhere the market still has a few elite hitters on the market.
-
Alfonseca, Leiter agree to deals
I might be alone on this but I think Bump will be fine next year. 629838[/snapback] Bump is not good. 629895[/snapback] Thanks for the expert analysis. Take away the 2 games he started, and he had a 3.57 ERA on the year. 629912[/snapback] damn thats pretty decent. Is there a stat for how many times he let inherited runners score? 629964[/snapback] I think the closest out there is probably WHIP, which I was going to bring up. Bump's WHIP is pretty dismal, as a guy coming out of the pen, it's an important stat to look at. WHIP just basically translates as how many guys you allow on base. So in the case of Bump his high WHIP means that although he his ERA doesn't take a hit when he allows inherited baserunners to score, the fact that these guy score in the first place is a consequence of him allowing other baserunners.
-
Matt Morris
you forgot to read the fine print... he can make up to $4.5mil more in incentives and frankly, Im sure he wanted to stay in STL anyway 629888[/snapback] I agree. He is still a bargain but no pitcher would want to leave St. Louis (awesome lineup and fans). 629892[/snapback] That's a pretty big hometown discount. I don't think it was the money, I'm sure Morris wanted to stay in St. Louis and since he was only looking for a one year deal he wouldn't be missing out on too much money. I'm sure he's going to raise his stock this season.
-
Alfonseca, Leiter agree to deals
2.30 or so million a year isnt bad for a solid setup man and potential closer. Everyone was saying he will be worse here than last year but that isnt necessarily true, he was good enough when he was here back then. One year he got like 40 saves 629723[/snapback] He's not terribly ovepriced and with so many question marks in the bullpen it's a very logical gamble. I'd still like to get a potential bargain in Reed, Nelson, Kline, Shuey Any of them could land peanuts because of their injury record, but if they could remain healthy it'd give us a top bullpen.
-
The most beautiful woman in the world
She is also now the offically the dumbest too. It just come with the title. :whistle 626978[/snapback] From someone that thinks the world of Ben Howard...and no doubt an ugly azz sh*thead as well... So much for your theory.
-
The most beautiful woman in the world
You obviously don't get the joke m00ktard. You wouldn't see herpes in those pictues. Lima gave a prostitute herpes. Thus, Lima-Pimples would be herpes. 626957[/snapback] You are right I didn't give your joke. Let's see why I didn't get your joke. Let's look at your first post "Peru? She most likely has little Lima-Pimples. :plain" So from this I am suppose to think that the Lima you are talking about is Jose Lima?? You are aware you ignoramus that Lima is the capital of Peru? First you say "Peru?" then you make the transition and say she 'most likely has Lima-Pimples" Think hard, what would any person ten times your intelligence think the Lima reference is to? And why would a Peruvian woman that won the Miss World have herpes 'most likely?' LOL...of all the stupid posts I've read on this board... You see you got me to laugh after all...LOL
-
From a person with a grasp of reality
Rather be vulgar than a moron. It's funny how you can respect his accomplishments on steriods. How can you respect him after he lied to you, and after he illegally used a substance to try to get ahead in the game. 626888[/snapback] You just don't get it, do you?? First off, enough with the personal attacks dude. With every insult, you lose your credibility. I don't even take you serious anymore, cause I know you'll come back with a 5th grade answer.. "Yeah, well you're stupid." or "Yeah, you think that cause you're a moron."... Come on, man... Act your age. Second, he didn't use an illegal substance. It was not banned by MLB when he used it. Why can't you grasp that concept? Finally, he didn't use it to get ahead in the game. He used it to treat other ailments (ie. fatigue and arthritis).... 626890[/snapback] Steriods are illegal in this country Einstein. He used a designer steriod to evade the tests but the chemical is the same, does the same for body that other steriods that test positive under these policies. I don't know what country you are from but in the US Steriods are illegal. Why can't you grasp that concept? I don't care if he used it to get ahead in the game, I don't care if he didn't think they were steriods, fact is they were, he used them, he enhanced his performance because of them and that is: 1) A stain for baseball 2) Cheating, whether intentional or not
-
From an SF Giants fan
I stopped reading after the first "moron"..... Can't have an adult conversation with you, dude.... later 626910[/snapback] LOL, Nice cop-out If you want to resort to the whole you said 'moron' in your post it obviously has no substance routine than well...
-
The most beautiful woman in the world
Peru? She most likely has little Lima-Pimples. :plain 626908[/snapback] They had pictures there Einstein...
-
The most beautiful woman in the world
Literally, http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=stor...na_missworld_dc
-
From an SF Giants fan
I don't know how Mays24Bonds25 can possibly respect himself after all the bombs of idiocy he's dropped on the rest of us rational people who are looking at this situation objectively. 626797[/snapback] See, that's the whole thing. You're not looking at it objectively. I'd say 98% of the people who have been bashing Barry have been waiting for this day for a long time. It's no secret that he is not liked by many... It's a common response a player of his caliber gets. For some reason, people want to find ways to undermine a great player's great accomplishments... Well, now you guys have your chance and your'e taking advantage of it. You're taking it to the extreme a bit, but I guess that's your right. However, you're about as biased as I am, just on the other side. I think of myself as a very rational person. Had Bonds injected himself, as Giambi did, I would not be defending him right now. However, his story sounds very credible. He was using something (which was not illegal in MLB at the time) that his trainer gave him. He used something that was given to him by the one person he trusted to do the right thing for him. He got screwed.... And I will reiterate what Mays24Bonds25 said.... You can sit there and think he's the biggest cheater.. You can blow this out of proportion like everyone else is... Or you can appreciate what the greatest player of our generation is doing. I, for one, will now find it even sweeter when he passes Ruth and Aaron next season. And I can guarantee you, we will see no asteriks next to his name in the record books. Once all this boils over, it'll just be a stupid thing of the past. 626880[/snapback] You think wrong. Do you think people will actually forget that Barry Bonds took steriods during his last few years when he decimated every offensive record in baseball during the years where should be declining if anything? Baseball experts, writers, and fans care too much about their sport to turn the other way when he decimates offensive records. You would have had to been a moron to not have seen him as a steriod user before this info came out. He lied, and you are still defending him? If you are a true baseball fan and look back from those eyes you will see that alot of meaningful records that Bonds has he obtained through the use of teriods. An illegal substance in America. The only reason that he didn't get caught was because he circumvented the system not because MLB approved of the steriods he used. They were designer steriods, but steriods nevertheless and MLB has always frowned on (obviously since they are ILLEGAL) them but Conte one upped them by introducing these designer steriods that could evade their tests. You do realize that he cheated because the substance he used is illegal, it's not permitted in MLB but he simply circumvented the tests? If anything he cheated twice, LOL. How can you even admire his accomplishments in recent years? He has said he used steriods. Not only has it tainted his legacy but he along with Giambi and Sheffield have stained baseball. The sport that has given him everything growing up and the opportunity to win the accolades he's won. He turns his back on and does this. I assume you agree that steriods are bad for baseball, they are a horrible precedent. You can't be stupid enough or atleast not MaysBonds. How then can you respect what he's accomplished these last few seasons? On the subject of steriods helping him. What evidence, circumstantial or not do you guys have that it didn't help him? I mean not too long ago you were saying how all the circumstantial evidence in the world couldn't tie Barry with steriods for sure but now you are so sure that steriods didn't help him without any shred of evidence. Steriods do help you and in the case of baseball they help you more so if you are a great player. They don't give you hand-eye coordination but what they will do is add alot of muscle mass that translates as further hit balls and faster swings and that translates as being able to sit on pitches more. Who do you think has a better chance at making full use of steriods' effects a player like Rey Ordonez or a player like Bonds? Now if you look at Bonds' stats pre-roids you'll see he was one of the best players if not the best offensively during the 90s. He had alot to gain from using steriods. Now considering that his use took place in a frame in his career that was a decade after his prime years when most players are declining or hard-pressed to continue to hold some bit of their prime years then yeah I think I'd have to agree with the medical experts' opinion that steriods do help you immensely as oppose to your without-evidence homerism. I'm still waiting on that article that had no source that said that Barry testified that he didn't use steriods.... You must not have much self-worth if you still defend a guy that lied to you as a fan, that made you look foolish for defending him in spite of his persona, a guy that tainted a game you as a fan must appreciate. I don't care if Giambi was worse and I'm not going to argue the fact that you think Bonds is telling the truth that he didn't know all the time. He had ample time to come out and address MLB and say that he unknowingly took steriods rather than wait till this happened. I atleast have respect for Sheffield for doing that. But honestly just drop the issue of whether or not he didn't know when he was taking them. 1) He still used them and that does stain baseball. 2) He lied becaues he must have at least been made known to the fact that he did during the grand jury testimony. He has had ample time since then to come back to MLB and say 'look it's just been revealed to me that I took these things that I didn't know.....I'm sorry' instead he continued asserting his innocence. 3) He cheated, doesn't matter whether he did so intentionally or not, he cheated. If you really believe that he is so stupid as to inject his body with chemicals without being told what they were from Anderson for so long and even when the 'steriod scandal broke out' then well you are free to believe that. But he's still a cheater, albeit an incredibly stupid man as well. His legacy will be tainted because he used an illegal substance to enhance his performance... You people want to compare him to Giambi to save face, why? Giambi is sh*t, just because he's a bit better of a person doesn't toss out the fact that he used an ILLEGAL substance. How many times is Bonds going to make you look like an idiot?
-
From a person with a grasp of reality
lol, are you able to make one post without filling it with personal attacks? You're pathetic if you can't carry on a civil conversation 626736[/snapback] lol... I was about to say the same thing. This guy can't stop with the personal attacks... He must have some emotional link to steroids... As a fan, I defend Barry because I believe he and his accomplishments are amazing and do not deserve all this bashing, but I don't feel the need to insult the people who don't agree with me... 626873[/snapback] Rather be vulgar than a moron. It's funny how you can respect his accomplishments on steriods. How can you respect him after he lied to you, and after he illegally used a substance to try to get ahead in the game.
-
From an SF Giants fan
Barry was the best player in baseball for 11 years prior to getting involved with BALCO. He's been the best player since he's stopped. He didn't break any rules. If you can't appreciate what he's done, than it's your loss 626735[/snapback] He didn't break any rules? He used an ILLEGAL substance. He used steriods. He cheated, he put a stain on baseball. He is furthering the steriod scandal that is making it impossible for aspiring youngsters to play baseball without realizing that they aren't competing on a level playing field with their juiced up contemps unless they do steriods. Bonds OPS has increased .400 from his early years That's the difference between Rey Ordonez and Manny Ramirez, in his late 30, when taking steriods... He lied to his fans, he used an illegal substance, he is furthering the steriod scandal that is putting a stain on baseball, he cheated his way into the record books. If you don't think he cheated then you would have to be under the impression that others players should be expected to do steriods if they want to compete with Barry? Do you honestly believe this? Are you even a true baseball fan? Do you understand what horrible consequences steriods will have on the game and on its players?
-
From a person with a grasp of reality
Just look at his stats. He went from 49 home runs in 2000 to 73 in 2001. That's a huge jump. The same thing happened to Benito Santiago around the same time, where his home run total jumped by about 20-30 between seasons. Later it was proven that he had been using steroids at the time. 626737[/snapback] It went from 49, to 73, down to 46. Stuff like that happens. Things that makes Bonds so good: 1. eye for the ball 2. plate discipline 3. quick swing 4. head for the game 5. hard work and dedication steroids doesn't help with any of that. And Santiago only went up 8 between seasons. 626739[/snapback] Yawn....his HR/AB ratios soared these last few seasons...his OPS rose .400 that's the difference between Rey Ordonez and Manny Ramirez... Yeah no difference.
-
From a person with a grasp of reality
1. it wasn't against the rules 2. it didn't affect his performance much 3. there's a very good chance he didn't know what he was actually taking 626699[/snapback] IT WAS A STERIOD IT IS ILLEGAL IT DID AFFECT HIS PERFORMANCE, HOW THE HELL DO YOU ARGUE IT DIDN'T MORON? DO YOU HAVE ANY EVIDENCE? I MEAN YOU GET ON THE CASE OF OTHERS FOR USEING EVIDENCE (PLENTY OF IT) TO SAY THAT BONDS USED STERIODS...BUT DO YOU HAVE ANY EVIDENCE THAT STERIODS DIDN'T AFFECT HIM? A HARVARD MED PROFESSOR WAS QUOTED ON ESPN AS SAYING THAT THEY HAVE A GREAT AFFECT ESPECIALLY IN ATHLETES THAT WORK OUT INTENSELY. BUT THEN WHAT DOES HE KNOW? HE IS LOOKING FROM BONDS' NUT SACK
-
From an SF Giants fan
I just cant believe there are people in the world like this. Its funny and sad at the same time. 626721[/snapback] Not everyone was blessed with an IQ over 80