State of the Union

Teal Shadow

:happybday First off Happy Birthday Marlins 2003,

Fish Fillet aka Brain Fillet you must a lawyer, do you always have to take the unpopular position? Amazing but hey your one of kind guy.

On the stadium...I'll say this...both parties are playing a dangerous game of chicken, poker, or whatever that could hurt the fan down the road. I won't say anything else on the topic, just ask yourself this question who's been in this town the longest and has basically everybody in his back pocket? Wayne, he'll lose and lose bigtime if this stadium goes through.

Now on what people should be talking about the team.

Castro is really pressing. Players watch other players don't kid yourself. He see what Pudge has been doing in Detroit. He needs to relax and be Ramon Castro not Pudge. Also he has to learn to ID the picthes better, we know he can hit the fastball. Him and Bill Robinson better become real close friends, if not Redmond will be playing alot more than Castro this season. The Marlins could always go to Plan B...Jason Kendall?

Armando Benitez Mr. Rolaids, I watch him very closely on Tuesday. He seem very relax and smooth in his first two outs, then on Vidro he sped up his motion, which in turn left the ball up in the zone. Yes, this was when the crowd started cheering for a strikeout. He really looses focus very easliy. Its something his going to have to work on.

Jump for Choi! The guy is not Lee, but he is a very patience hitter which sometimes could work against him with a pitcher with alot movement. It appears the Spos early on were going on last year scouting report "he can't hit something down and in" Well have they found that down and in pitch by Livan? lol. Also people have to understand Choi is lefty. Which present a little problem when guarding the line, it something Choi and Perry Hill have been workin on.

Save A.Nunez! Should he play?YES, but as long as 'niner and Choi are hitting. He'll be keep his uniform very clean.

" The most dangerous thing in sports is... A disrespected Champion!"

:marlins

Also people have to understand Choi is lefty. Which present a little problem, when he plays defense, when someone is on first. It something Choi and Perry Hill have been workin on.

Interesting point. Growing up a Met fan and watching Keith Hernandez play first, I always thought it was advantageous to have a lefty at first; particularly when turning double plays. Is there a preference as to having a lefty or righty at first???

:mischief2

I always thought it was better to have a right handed firstbaseman - playing first myself for some time. This is because you can guard the lines easier. Turning double plays is practically moot because both a lefty and a righty have to come off the bag to make the throw. Plus, I am sure there is a higher percentage of DPs where the 1B is recieving the last out as opposed to starting the DP.

The other advantage, which isnt really utilized enough these days, is holding baserunners on 1B. As a righty, you can see the runner as you face him. As a lefty, your back is to him which means you have to reach back to make the tag or play behind the bag which gives less of a window to pick off a runner. I think righties rule 1B - but 3B, I think you can make the same case for lefties. Just a thought...

As far as the stadium goes, the Marlins dont have ANY clout in my opinion. If they are going to get this done, they are going to have to have the County help them almost exclusively and put up the money themselves AND probably go without a roof for now. H-bomb is too entrenched and I have said all along that he stands to lose the most from the Marlins being free of that criminal lease.

Also people have to understand Choi is lefty. Which present a little problem, when he plays defense, when someone is on first. It something Choi and Perry Hill have been workin on.

Interesting point. Growing up a Met fan and watching Keith Hernandez play first, I always thought it was advantageous to have a lefty at first; particularly when turning double plays. Is there a preference as to having a lefty or righty at first???

:mischief2 It's preferable to have a left-handed throwing firstbaseman, for exactly the reason you said - turning double plays. It's a lot easier for a left-handed 1B to make throws to the other bases than a righty. Lee just made it look much easier than it actually was all these years.

I always felt it was better for holding runners on, and also growing up a Mets fan I too remember how good Hernandez was at it. He could pretty much straddle the line and place his glove right next to the base without having to worry about tangling up with the runner.

It is tougher for a left-handed 1B to guard the line but overall the other two factors outweigh this and it's preferable to have a left-handed 1B.

:mischief2 It's preferable to have a left-handed throwing firstbaseman, for exactly the reason you said - turning double plays. It's a lot easier for a left-handed 1B to make throws to the other bases than a righty. Lee just made it look much easier than it actually was all these years.

I always felt it was better for holding runners on, and also growing up a Mets fan I too remember how good Hernandez was at it. He could pretty much straddle the line and place his glove right next to the base without having to worry about tangling up with the runner.

It is tougher for a left-handed 1B to guard the line but overall the other two factors outweigh this and it's preferable to have a left-handed 1B. Your right 83Gator, I didn't elaborate on Choi defense. The two shots to RF that went pass Choi in Tuesday game wasn't Choi fault. He's a lefty. There making shifts in his game to help him cheat a little.

Ed,

I believe it will happen because both sides are ready to make it happen. The local politicos told Wayne to go where the sun don't shine and Henry to pay for it himself, but they know that after Loria, they may not have another chance and that Loria is the guy to do it.