Good and Bad News

Good News: Our highest paid player is earning his money!!!!!!!

Bad News: He's doing it against us

i dont get why everyone keeps saying hampton is our highest paid player? because he is how is that possible? someone correct me if i'm wrong

we had him in the JP trade for 2 seconds, and then we picked up a lot of his salary and gave him to los bravos

Good News: Our highest paid player is earning his money!!!!!!!

Bad News: He's doing it against us

i dont get why everyone keeps saying hampton is our highest paid player? because he is how is that possible? someone correct me if i'm wrong

we had him in the JP trade for 2 seconds, and then we picked up a lot of his salary and gave him to los bravos oh...

In order save $25+ million net (after paying Hampton) we traded Wilson and Johnson to Colorado for Hampton and Pierre. As part of the transaction we agreed to pick up a big chunk of Hampton's salary (which was second only to ARod's contract). When he refused to come here we shipped him to the Braves for Spooneybarger and the Braves picking up the remaining of Hampton's salary at a later date.

This season we are paying Hampton something like $9-10-11 million BUT again the net effect after all is said and done is that the Marlins will save $25 million on the transaction.

Hampton's current contract:

2001:$8 million(+$20 million signing bonus deferred until the end of the contract)

2002:$8.5 million

2003:$11 million(Atl 2 million/Fla $9 million)

2004:$12 million(Atl 2 million/Fla $10 million)

2005:$12.5 million(Atl $1.5 million/Fla $11 million)

2006:$13.5 million Atl

2007:$14.5 million Atl

2008:$15 million Atl

2009:team option $20 million or $6 million buyout

*signing bonus $1 million to charity/$19 million paid out in 10 annual installments(Colorado)

Bonuses:$150K MVP WS; $100K Cy Young/or MVP NLCS; $50K if 2nd to 5th in Cy Young voting/ or MVP NLDS; $25K for All Star selection/or Gold Glove/or Silver Slugger

So Marlins are responsible for:

Hampton:$30 million

Pierre: $6.6 million....+ a possible $5.25 incentive bonuses that weren't specified

Got rid of:

C.Johnson: $25-$26 million

Wilson: $27.5 million

Darrensbourgh: $1.3 million or and additional $1.2 million if option picked up in 2004.

Didn't include Spooneybarger, Ozuna, or Ryan Baker...they're making peanuts