Mike Piazza Told to "Back Off"

FutureGM

Apparently Mike Piazza and his father had been planning to help Ted Williams' daughter get Ted out of cryogenic stasis, so that his ashes could be spread over the Florida Keys. However, Ted Williams' attorney threatened to file a lawsuit if Piazza attempted to interfere in the family's affairs. Piazza has since backed down. Full story on ESPN.com.

Mike Piazza's efforts to put Ted Williams to rest in a dignified manner came to a quick halt Friday when Piazza's agent got a call from Williams' lawyer.

Dan Lozano, representing the Mets slugger, was advised by Peter Sutton of Boston, representing the Thumper's estate, that Piazza and his father, Vince, ought to back off, according to The Star-Ledger of Newark, N.J.

Piazza, who had a personal relationship with Williams, had contacted the Red Sox slugger's daughter Bobby-Jo Ferrell and offered to assist in her effort to have the Hall of Famer's body removed from a deep freeze and cremated instead, then have his ashes spread over the deep waters off the Florida Keys.

Williams' son, John Henry Williams, who died recently, had arranged to have Williams' body cryogenically frozen at the Alcor Life Extension Foundation in Scottsdale, Ariz., and Sutton is defending that action. Ferrell and her husband, Mark, are suing Alcor to see documents proving that Williams wanted to be frozen rather than cremated.

Sutton told Lozano that the Piazzas risk a lawsuit if they continue to speak out on the issue. The lawyer told The Star-Ledger he's prepared to sue anyone who encourages Ferrell to pursue the issue in violation of a previous agreement. But, Sutton said he undertands why Piazza became involved.

"We understand where he was coming from, and we thank him for his decision," Sutton said. "He just needed to hear the facts."

"Personally, my feelings haven't changed, but the last thing I want to do is interfere in a family matter," Mike Piazza said. "I just feel strongly that he [Williams]should be memorialized properly in some way."

I know this is off topic but I just saw in your sig Passion, about Kevin Youklis making his debut. Thats awesome, I remeber reading about him in Moneyball and how he was an OBP freak.

Good luck to Boston with him. Hope he does well.

Back to topic, nice thing for Piazza to do trying to help the Williams family get a proper memorial for the Great Ted.

I know this is off topic but I just saw in your sig Passion, about Kevin Youklis making his debut. Thats awesome, I remeber reading about him in Moneyball and how he was an OBP freak.

Back to topic, nice thing for Piazza to do trying to help the Williams family get a proper memorial for the Great Ted.

***Off-Topic***

Yeah, Ive been wating for youklis to play since I read that book a while back. He is kindof old (25 or 26) to still be in the AAA for how much he was hyped, it was nice that he got a chance to shine. Too bad he will be sent down when Mueller gets back... :thumbdown

***Off-Topic***

Yeah, Ive been wating for youklis to play since I read that book a while back. He is kindof old (25 or 26) to still be in the AAA for how much he was hyped, it was nice that he got a chance to shine. Too bad he will be sent down when Mueller gets back... :thumbdown That sucks ass. If he continues to play well he should be kept up in the majors.

I know this is off topic but I just saw in your sig Passion, about Kevin Youklis making his debut.? Thats awesome, I remeber reading about him in Moneyball and how he was an OBP freak.

Good luck to Boston with him.? Hope he does well.

***Off-Topic***

Yeah, Ive been wating for youklis to play since I read that book a while back. He is kindof old (25 or 26) to still be in the AAA for how much he was hyped, it was nice that he got a chance to shine. Too bad he will be sent down when Mueller gets back... :thumbdown That sucks ass. If he continues to play well he should be kept up in the majors. Hopefully we can find a spot for him.

His defense sucks so we could put him at DH, but Ortiz is there who alos sucks at defense.

I know this is off topic but I just saw in your sig Passion, about Kevin Youklis making his debut.? Thats awesome, I remeber reading about him in Moneyball and how he was an OBP freak.

***Off-Topic***

Yeah, Ive been wating for youklis to play since I read that book a while back. He is kindof old (25 or 26) to still be in the AAA for how much he was hyped, it was nice that he got a chance to shine. Too bad he will be sent down when Mueller gets back... :thumbdown That sucks ass. If he continues to play well he should be kept up in the majors. Hopefully we can find a spot for him.

His defense sucks so we could put him at DH, but Ortiz is there who alos sucks at defense. Yeah thats true. I see the dilemma now you really cant have 2 guys on a team who primary position is DH.

***Off-Topic***

His defense sucks so we could put him at DH, but Ortiz is there who alos sucks at defense. Yeah thats true. I see the dilemma now you really cant have 2 guys on a team who primary position is DH. This is a PIAZZA thread...

If Youkilis plays well enough there's always the chance they could move Mueller to second and release Bellhorn or Reese. If this kid is a s good as everyone says and he takes advantage of this chance, there's no way they can take him out of line-up.

They wont release either of them....

Dave McCarty would be the first to go.

Bellhorn has been a walks machince this year and Im pretty sure he leads the league in OBP. We are trying to become a Billy Beane like team. Bellhorn is safe.

Plus, Reese may have to be our shortstop next year, so we have to keep him.

...This is the PIAZZA THREAD, if you want to continue the RedSox then make a new thread....

Anyways, I think what Mike did is great and that he actually stepped up. This whole Ted Williams situation is just completely bizzare and should be illegal. I really hope Piazza doesn't step back in threat of a damn lawsuit, because there is no way he would lose it.