Burnett eyes June return

PBMarlin

Notes: Burnett eyes June return

By Joe Frisaro / MLB.com?

ST. LOUIS -- After yet another successful throwing session on Saturday, right-hander A.J. Burnett envisions an early June return to the Marlins' rotation.

Burnett, who threw for 14 minutes in the bullpen at Busch Stadium, is eyeing a June 2 start against the Reds at Pro Player Stadium.

"In a perfect world that's where I'll be," Burnett said.

Pitching coach Wayne Rosenthal gave looser parameters. The target range is to have the hard-throwing right-hander back by either June 2 or June 8 , when the Marlins open a three-game series at Cleveland.

Exactly when Burnett comes back will depend on how many rehab assignments he makes. There will be at least three, meaning June 2 is possible. So, if the building up process requires a fourth assignment, June 8 would be the date.

"There is no reason why he can't throw an extra rehab start, if he needs to," Rosenthal said. "It's a matter now of how he does. If he progresses in the third one, we might say, 'how about one more?' "

Burnett is recovering from Tommy John surgery performed late last April.

On Tuesday, he will toss an extended spring game at Roger Dean Stadium's field No. 2. Start time is noon. And on May 23, he will start for Class-A Jupiter at Brevard County. From there, his May 28 start will either be for Double-A Carolina or Triple-A Albuquerque.

The thinking is to improve the level of competition in the third assignment before he takes on Major League hitters.

Rosenthal added that the plan is for Burnett to build up as a starter and not be used in his first few appearances out of the bullpen.

Once Burnett returns to the rotation, one of the current five starters will head to the bullpen. The assumption is it could be left-hander Darren Oliver. But that isn't definite.

Joe Frisaro is a reporter for MLB.com. This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

Woah, only a few short weeks to go. It's great to see AJ is coming along so well.....keeping fingers crossed.

Link to Article

Just come back June 5th when they're in town to play the Mets

yeah...but the marlins are going to have a lot of fans when they play the mets anyways...bc of all the met fans down in south florida...so its going to be packed anyways...even if AJ dosent start in the game.

i remember a few years ago-the game in which the marlins had the most fans was a game at the end of the season-just a plain game-and the marlins had no chance of getting into the playoffs at that time-but they still got the most fans that they had the whole year bc they were playing the mets and there are a lot of met fans in south florida so when the marlins play the mets they get a lot of fans either way.

yeah...but the marlins are going to have a lot of fans when they play the mets anyways...bc of all the met fans down in south florida...so its going to be packed anyways...even if AJ dosent start in the game.

i remember a few years ago-the game in which the marlins had the most fans was a game at the end of the season-just a plain game-and the marlins had no chance of getting into the playoffs at that time-but they still got the most fans that they had the whole year bc they were playing the mets and there are a lot of met fans in south florida so when the marlins play the mets they get a lot of fans either way. they're playing @ NY on June 5

i remember a few years ago-the game in which the marlins had the most fans was a game at the end of the season-just a plain game-and the marlins had no chance of getting into the playoffs at that time-but they still got the most fans that they had the whole year bc they were playing the mets and there are a lot of met fans in south florida so when the marlins play the mets they get a lot of fans either way. they're playing @ NY on June 5 my bad-but there will still be a lot of fans there...i expect there to be a lot of marlin fans also.... :)

I think that aj's first game should be at home...

Guest Guest

i expect there to be a lot of marlin fans also.... :)

At Shea? No way, maybe a few more this year because they are the champs but there's been times that I was the only Marlins fan there. Only one who showed it anyway.

At Shea? No way, maybe a few more this year because they are the champs but there's been times that I was the only Marlins fan there. Only one who showed it anyway. well some people go just bc. its a pretty good rivalry...and just bc. we are playing the mets and their is a lot of hatred...and armando used to play for them...some people might even be going so they can be happy that we got benitez for looper...there are a lot of reasons why fans would want to go...and some fans would also go just bc. they know they are not wanted there....and maybe to start fights...etc.

At Shea? No way, maybe a few more this year because they are the champs but there's been times that I was the only Marlins fan there. Only one who showed it anyway. well some people go just bc. its a pretty good rivalry...and just bc. we are playing the mets and their is a lot of hatred...and armando used to play for them...some people might even be going so they can be happy that we got benitez for looper...there are a lot of reasons why fans would want to go...and some fans would also go just bc. they know they are not wanted there....and maybe to start fights...etc. Naw dude, that rivalry probably only exists here because of the transplanted New Yorkers. The fights were too minor and too old.

At Shea? No way, maybe a few more this year because they are the champs but there's been times that I was the only Marlins fan there. Only one who showed it anyway. well some people go just bc. its a pretty good rivalry...and just bc. we are playing the mets and their is a lot of hatred...and armando used to play for them...some people might even be going so they can be happy that we got benitez for looper...there are a lot of reasons why fans would want to go...and some fans would also go just bc. they know they are not wanted there....and maybe to start fights...etc. Naw dude, that rivalry probably only exists here because of the transplanted New Yorkers. The fights were too minor and too old. it still exists a little in ny...bc. its still the same 2 teams...i agree that their is a greater rivalry between the 2 teams in maimi bc of all the new yorkers and theur not scared of being booed at by the marlin fans...and in ny some marlin fans are scared of showing that they are marlin fans...but still their is a rivalry...and the mets arent doing so good...so the marlins should win and fans should go and be proud of the marlins.

Once Burnett returns to the rotation, one of the current five starters will head to the bullpen. The assumption is it could be left-hander Darren Oliver. But that isn't definite.

hahaha its not definite. :rolleyes: :mischief It will prob. be DO.

:)