OMGNunez to Seattle?

Malman

I just came across this blurb re Abe on my personal Sportsline.com page -

"The Seattle Post-Intelligencer reports that Nunez could be traded to the Mariners for bullpen help for the Marlins."

Any ideas whom we might be interested in? I assume Beinfest would have a good handle on their staff ahving worked for the M's previously.

:whistle

Seattle could use somebody in CF besides Randy Winn. His numbers have been terrible - a .568 OPS, which is nearly identical to Alex Gonzalez's. They ain't trading their closer for Nunez though (I'm guessing y'all were joking about that). None of the righties in their bullpen have good numbers except for J.J. Putz and while his ERA is 3.14, his WHIP is 1.40, with 9 walks in 14.1 innings. Plus he only has 18 major league innings in his career.

Guest Juanky

Ron Villone looks solid for them so far this year and he has some talent. Some of his numbers:

ERA: 3.45

31.1 Innings, 19 Games

24 Hits, 17 Runs (12 ER)

4 HBP (that's pretty high)

20/17 K/BB ratio

1.31 WHIP

.295 SLG

.336 OBA

.214 OAVG

4.88 BB/9

5.74 K/9

6.89 H/9

Only throws about 17 pitches an inning which is alright, nothing special

Guest Juanky

The more I look at Villone, the more I like him. It seems that he had a rough start to the season and has really buckled down since then. He has a 2.20 ERA in May so far. I wish I knew what he threw though.

Ron Villone looks solid for them so far this year and he has some talent.

Another lefty though, with a WHIP of 1.64 against righties this year. We already have two lefties in the bullpen in Perisho and Phelps (in about a week). I'd rather not have 3 lefties in the bullpen when we're still running Bump and Wayne out there.

Villone would make 4 lefties if we count Oliver but I'd rather pretend Oliver isn't on the team anymore.

Ron Villone signed with the team as a free agent in May and pitched well almost immediately on a staff that was desperate for a starter to eat up innings. He kept the team in almost every game he pitched, posting a 6-3 record with a 3.28 ERA in his first 14 starts, but he tired in September, when he went 0-3 with a 7.03 ERA. Pitching, Defense & HittingAstros officials thought Villone was a much better pitcher last season than he was when he was with them in 2001. He had better command and more confidence. He throws a cut fastball in the high 80s that is his best pitch. He also has a good slider, changeup and slider-curve. Houston also loved his tough approach and willingness to take the ball in any situation. Villone had the first home run of his nine-year career last season, but he's no real threat at the plate. He's an average fielder.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/scouting?statsId=5346

Guest Juanky

Another lefty though, with a WHIP of 1.64 against righties this year. We already have two lefties in the bullpen in Perisho and Phelps (in about a week). I'd rather not have 3 lefties in the bullpen when we're still running Bump and Wayne out there.

Villone would make 4 lefties if we count Oliver but I'd rather pretend Oliver isn't on the team anymore. Too bad, he would have been nice

Villone would make 4 lefties if we count Oliver but I'd rather pretend Oliver isn't on the team anymore. Too bad, he would have been nice If we could work a 3-way trade with a team with extra right-handed relievers that needs a lefty, maybe something could happen. The Reds were a team like that but they just brought up Mike Matthews to help.