DevilRays call up Fred McGriff

Accord

ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. - Hoping to add some offensive pop, the Tampa Bay Devils Rays called up veteran first baseman/designated hitter Fred McGriff from AAA Durham Friday.

Tampa Bay signed the 40-year-old McGriff to a minor league contract and invited him to spring training, but he was reassigned to minor league camp when the season began. After working out on his own, he joined Durham May 20, batting .250 with a home run, four RBI and five walks in six games.

The Tampa native is just nine home runs shy of becoming the 20th player in major league history to hit 500 homers. He played for the Rays from their inception in 1998 until he was traded to the Chicago Cubs in 2001.

He is the club's all-time leader in most offensive categories, including batting average (.295), home runs (95) and RBI (352).

The five-time All-Star was slowed by injuries last year that limited him to 86 games, 13 home runs and 40 RBI for the Los Angeles Dodgers. He is a lifetime .285 hitter over 19 major league seasons with the Blue Jays, Padres, Braves, Rays, Cubs and Dodgers.

To make room for McGriff, outfielder Jonny Gomes was optioned to Durham.

The Rays open a weekend series at home against the New York Yankees Friday night.

http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/news/8786591.htm

What I meant was, I hope they dont think he is going to be the player of old or be a clean-up guy. Put him at 9th so he doesn't make a fool of himself or dissapoint.

ok

that's true

i'm not sure if he can get to 500, but i hope he does I hope he does as well.

I hope he doesn't press it or he will never get there.

Let the game come to you, Fred.

Here's to 500 for the Crime Dog! :cheers