Jump to content

Mike Williams Trying to Get Back to USC


Heckeroo
 Share

Recommended Posts

LOS ANGELES -- Kept out of the NFL draft by the courts, wide receiver Mike Williams will ask the NCAA to let him return to college football.

 

 

Williams said he is leaving agent Mike Azzarelli and has sent Southern California paperwork to file with the NCAA that could make him eligible to play for the Trojans in the fall.

 

 

"There's really not a football player on any level hungrier than I am to play ball," Williams told KMPC-AM in Los Angeles.

 

 

The All-America sophomore said he was disappointed to be barred from the draft and left open the possibility of trying to enter the NFL again if the NCAA doesn't accept his request.

 

 

"If it doesn't work out, we'll pursue other angles," he said.

 

 

Attempts to contact Williams by The Associated Press were unsuccessful.

 

 

Williams had his career at USC thrown into limbo following a court ruling last month that blocked him from entering the NFL draft.

 

 

The university is responsible for reviewing Williams' request and submitting it to the NCAA. The NCAA's student-athlete reinstatement staff usually makes a decision within days, but has not yet received the required paperwork, said NCAA spokeswoman Kay Hawes.

 

 

Azzarelli is now working to get Williams back into college.

 

 

"We will do everything imaginable within our power to do what can be done, what needs to be done, to get the NCAA to reinstate him," Azzarelli said. "If that doesn't work out, he's probably got a much stronger case against the NFL."

 

 

Azzarelli claims the NFL encouraged Williams to enter the draft and said a rejection of his application for NCAA reinstatement could bolster a possible lawsuit against the league, if needed. He added that Williams would aim for the league's supplemental draft.

 

 

Williams, who finished fourth in the Heisman Trophy balloting, followed Ohio State running back Maurice Clarett in declaring his eligibility after a U.S. district judge ruled that younger players may enter the draft.

 

 

But that ruling was stayed, and the 2nd U.S. Court of Appeals in New York City decided May 24 that the NFL has the right to determine when players can enter the league. NFL rules bar players until they are three years out of high school, and Clarett and Williams each have been out of high school for just two years.

 

 

Both would be eligible for the 2005 NFL draft.

 

 

Williams, who left USC shortly after the spring semester began, faces a series of hurdles to regain his eligibility. He must cancel his contract with Azzarelli and USC must submit an academic progress waiver and petition the NCAA for his reinstatement.

 

 

The final decision would be up to the NCAA.

 

 

Williams said the request was "not a slam dunk" and acknowledged that he must make several changes to meet eligibility requirements.

 

 

"I'm not going to walk in the door scot-free and just start playing football," Williams said. "There's some conditions I have to meet."

 

 

The case could set a precedent, Tim Tessalone, USC's sports information director, said.

 

 

"We believe the NCAA will look at the situation and we hope that they'll look out for the welfare of the student-athlete," he said.

 

 

Trojans coach Pete Carroll appeared after Williams on KMPC.

 

 

"It's been a tough lesson for him," said Carroll, who added he he'd welcome Williams back to the team.

 

 

"He brings a lot to the program, he brings a lot to college football, and hopefully this will be an opportunity for him to return," Carroll said.

 

 

Carroll did not immediately return messages left at his office by the AP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites


Good for him. :thumbup

 

School > Money

Yeah, like this has anything at all to do with school.

 

I'll learn more from classes at USC than he will, And I've never been there. Agreed. Why should they let him back in? He doesn't give a crap about school, that's why he decided to leave in the first place.

 

"College" football has their priorities so mixed up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think he should be let back in since he didnt really do anything wrong. Dosent the same thing happen during for baseketball when someone dosent get drafted they go back to school. If in the end Williams does return to school then watch out for USC again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think he should be let back in since he didnt really do anything wrong. Dosent the same thing happen during for baseketball when someone dosent get drafted they go back to school. If in the end Williams does return to school then watch out for USC again.

No, that doesn't happen. Mario Austin left Miss St early and didn't make an NBA team. He sure didn't play for Miss St this year. The reason is that they have or had an agent, therefore can't be an amateur athlete again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think he should be let back in since he didnt really do anything wrong. Dosent the same thing happen during for baseketball when someone dosent get drafted they go back to school. If in the end Williams does return to school then watch out for USC again.

The fact remains that Williams was fully aware of the rules governing his amatuer status when he signed with USC. He then got greedy, took a flyer on the slim chance that he would be eligible for the draft and forfeited his status.

 

See you in NFL Europe Mike!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good for him. :thumbup

 

School > Money

Yeah, that's what Mike thinks, that's why he entered the NFL Draft as soon as he thought the flood gates opened. :lol

 

This isn't about school at all, it's about playing college ball another year until he's eliigible for the NFL Draft, and maintaining his status as a 1st round draft pick.

 

That is what this is all about, guaranteed.

 

With that said, do I blame him for what he's done and what he's doing? Heck naw.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good for him.? :thumbup

 

School > Money

Yeah, that's what Mike thinks, that's why he entered the NFL Draft as soon as he thought the flood gates opened. :lol

 

This isn't about school at all, it's about playing college ball another year until he's eliigible for the NFL Draft, and maintaining his status as a 1st round draft pick.

 

That is what this is all about, guaranteed.

 

With that said, do I blame him for what he's done and what he's doing? Heck naw. Again, I said thats what MY prefrence would be if you look at my above post.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I would do the same thing he did if I knew I would be a first round pick. It was a risk taken, and he needs to accept the consequences of his actions. There is no way that USC should accept him back just so he can keep his draft status. They would basically be paying him to play football, because we already know that he doesn't care about school.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This thread is quite old. Please consider starting a new thread rather than reviving this one.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share



×
×
  • Create New...